Summer 1940

August 21st 1940
From his office, the Captain could hear the rest of his unit laughing outside.
The summer heat was making it difficult to do much of anything these days. Swimming in the lake and playing cricket seemed to be the only things they consistently did.
His office door suddenly opened, and the Captain looked over to see Havers poking his head around the door.

"Afternoon, Havers." The Captain greeted.
"Afternoon, sir," Havers replied. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I came to ask if you were coming down for cricket?"

"I was just about to pack up for the day, actually!" Havers brightened, causing the Captain's heart to flutter. "I could get used to the routine of playing so often together."

"It'll be a shame when the colder weather comes, and we can't play much anymore." Havers agreed.
The Captain finished fiddling with some files, locked his desk drawers and walked towards Havers.
The lieutenant looked over his shoulder, slipped into the room and held a hand out for the Captain.
Their hands met, and Havers pulled the Captain close, kissing him soundly.

This was what the Captain could get used to. The simple domesticity in which they operated, and the ease at which they found themselves. Finding their footing had been easy. The routine of greeting and saying farewell to each other with a kiss was normal now. The Captain always anticipated the lightheadedness that came with it.

They spent a few moments wrapped up in each other. This had been their first moment alone all day away from the prying eyes of their fellow officers.

"Goodness," Havers murmured when they parted, a smile on his face. "Are you sure you want to go down to cricket? You kiss like you'd rather we take this elsewhere."
The Captain laughed nervously, ducking his head to hide the red creeping into his cheeks. "It's best we don't tempt fate. They'll come looking sooner or later."

"I know," Havers said. "I'm only joking, Teddy."

The gentleness in his tone reassured the Captain. He was still hard to convince in terms of vulnerability some days. The prospect of things ever being more than hushed kisses inside his office thrilled him.
But when he thought of the future, he thought of a home, not risking such scandalous meetings in either of their bedrooms. Somehow, that thought made his stomach twist into knots.

Nerves, mainly, he was sure. Fear of the unknown. Fear of what would change. He dreaded to think that he wasn't enough, that his inexperience would show, and Havers would not want him
anymore.

Havers' new nickname for him, Teddy, was also a comfort. He had never explained how he'd stumbled across it. The Captain knew it was used for men named Edward on occasion. And he'd never met another Theodore to know whether or not it was the natural short for the name.

But somehow, from Havers' mouth, it felt right. Something secret, something safe, something for only them. To be whispered gently and said with affection.
"Let's go join the rabble, shall we?" Havers asked softly, distracting the Captain from his thoughts.
"I have it on good authority that you and I are captaining two different teams today."

"Different teams?" The Captain asked, following Havers outside the office, locking the door behind him before they carried on down the corridor. "But we always play on the same team."
"I think the others are wising up to our tricks." Havers laughed. "We always win when we play together. They're trying to even the field, see who the stronger player is for the future of the games."

"Dammit." The Captain said. "I thought we might be able to get away with it for a little longer before we got caught."
"It should be a good game, though, sir," Havers said. "I can't predict an outcome."

"Neither can I." The Captain said. "Who will be the odd officer out? That's the real question. Reed can be quite impartial and passionate. If possible, we should keep him on a team rather than on his own."
"Johnson and Tyler, too," Havers added. "Though, it's best to keep them on a team together. They get far too competitive if they go against each other."