Chapter 1

Coming on Alberto's Birthday - September 25th!

Abiding Crash

Chapter 1

The red harbor sparkled in the setting sun. Warm nighttime lanterns glowed in the streets while stray cats began their nightly prowl. Families gathered in rickety kitchens to exchange news and find rest after the day's labors. And in the morning, when the sun had not yet broken over the horizon, they will rise and begin the day anew.

And such was the life in Portorosso. A peaceful life. A full life.

But Portorosso wasn't the same harbor town it once was. Now - it had a story to tell. Reminders of its fight for freedom dotted the village for all to see.

New homes and shops stood out against the weathered brick of old buildings. A new Pescheria stood taller than its predecessor, towering over the small cafes around it. A white marble monument shone in the bright ocean moonlight, carrying the names of those fallen to protect what they loved.

Those and other scars reminded the people of what they fought for. And the people themselves had changed. There was pride in their walk but also the burden of loss.

Though the battle for Portorosso ended victoriously, much was to be mourned. The struggle ended nearly eight months ago, but the wounds felt fresh. Villagers often gathered in the square, offering flowers and prayers to the monument that marked the lives of those they lost. Girls became women, and boys became men as the town mustered all its strength to stay alive. Stay strong. And stay together.

But amongst the grieving faces were new faces. New hope.

The union of the people of the sea and the people of the land was complete. Whole. And unbreakable. A bond forged in the violence of battle and the sorrow of sacrifice.

Portorosso was not the only town to rebuild. The Sireni colony of Corallina was alive once more; its population was restored in the clear shallow water of the red harbor. But there was also a new colony growing beside it. Further down into deeper, colder waters rose the village of Bravaree. A new thriving colony of Rusalki, A warrior tribe that turned the tides in the battle of Portorosso. Led by their Chieftess, the settlement was growing exponentially, as was their newfound purpose.

No longer were the Rusalki vengeful and violent people. Though their prowess as warriors remained unmatched, a new era of love and acceptance was spreading over them. No longer were those born of light scales and frail bodies shunned and persecuted. And for the first time, Rusalki were no longer persecuted for the ones they loved.

The land was healing. The people were healing.

And the dark times were finally over.

But there was a crack. A fissure, wide enough for someone to fall inside, and be lost. The earth shook, and the opening widened. Like a terrible beast of the earth, the crack widened; and Luca couldn't get away. It was breaking.

All around him everything was breaking.

The battle was over.

But the pain was only just beginning to settle in.

Pain. Torment. Giult.

They were pitted deeply inside... everything.

And it was breaking.

A Crash was coming.

~.~.~.~

Luca POV

Luca leaned back as a warm spring wind ruffled his hair. He closed his eyes, sinking into the feeling. The wind brought with it the smell of pollen, fresh grass, and the sea. All signs that the cold was nearly gone and the season for new life was on its way.