Chapter 13

TW in the description
Art by MrBluz on Instagram!

Mattias POV

Mattias exited his second cab and climbed the steps to the motel. He'd taken two separate cabs (even though he could have taken a family car) on the off chance he was followed. He didn't want anyone to know where he was staying. Or even worse, who was staying with him.

"How did it go?" Giulia asked, immediately jumping off the edge of the bed like she'd been waiting for him to return all morning.

Mattias sighed as he pulled a suitcase near him and began stuffing belongings inside.

"About as bad as I thought. They want me to take over the estate."

"And you told them no, right?"

Mattias shook his head.

"It isn't that simple. They won't take no for an answer. It'll take more than that to cut ties with them once and for all."

"Did you... see his parents?"

Mattias froze for a moment and nodded.

"Just his father. His mother is still in mourning and didn't come for the meeting."

They shared a silent moment. It was the most respect they'd ever given him. Ever given Ercole.

But the moment passed when Giulia broke the silence.

"I'm sorry, Mattias," Giulia said, and he knew what she meant. She wasn't sorry that the monster was dead.

She was sorry that it affected him. That it affected his family.

"Don't be. He got what was coming to him. Anyway, there is more."

Mattias proceeded to explain the danger they were in. The danger Portorosso was in. But he also explained Talia's plan.

"So.. all you have to do is change your name?"

"It sends a strong message," Mattias said, finishing up placing the last few things in the bag. "We are going to the courthouse now to sign the papers; I have a cab waiting."

Mattias was halfway to the door when he realized Giulia wasn't following him. He spun around to see her staring at the floor.

"What's wrong?" He asked, hand already on the door handle.

"We're... getting married? Now? In a courthouse?"

"My name has to be dead in three days. This is the fastest way to do it. Changing it legally without the bonds of marriage would take too long."

He watched as Giulia shifted.

"Do you not want me to take your last name?" He asked.

"No, no! That's not the problem! I'd honored that you're going to take my name. It makes me so happy. Honestly, that was the only part of getting married I was worried about. I didn't want to change my name to Romano. But now that you're taking my name, it's perfect." She said hastily, waving her hand.

"Then what's the problem?" Mattias said as he peeked around a curtain, ensuring the cab was still there.

"It's just... not how I pictured getting married to you," Giulia said.

"Giulia," Mattias said, his voice kind but firm, "You are in danger. Your home and all the people we care about are in danger. Two things need to happen for us to be together and for everyone to be safe. First, I need to separate myself from them finally. The second part entirely depends on Talia. She has to convince both heads to turn over the family fortune to her."