Chapter 23

TW in the description

Authors Note: There is some SPICE to this chapter that I decided to leave in for you guys :) Usually I don't post that kind of stuff to Wattpad but I figured this one wasn't too bad. Enjoy my lovelies ;)

Luca POV

Both males retreated to their room, minds spiraling after Massimo's news. They lay side by side, feet propped on the wall. At some point, Dolce hopped on the bed and curled herself in the crook of Alberto's arm.

(Art by froopa

(Art by froopa.coopa on Instagram)

"So," Alberto began. "That just happened."

"I wasn't expecting that conversation when they walked in," Luca said, also thrown by the news.

"I knew I'd run the Pescheria one day; I just didn't think it'd be so soon."

Luca turned his head so he could see his mate's profile.

"You'll be amazing at it. You're the best fisherman Portorosso's ever seen."

Then he laughed.

"You could get Tartanum to pull the cart for you instead of using that old bike."

"That's not a bad idea." Alberto said, "But I'd have to keep him from eating all the fish."

Luca laughed.

"That's true."

Over the past weeks, Tartanum came and went as he pleased. Alberto went out of his way to have a cache of fish at the Pescheria whenever the Kelpie was around. Sometimes Tar would disappear for a couple of days, but he never went far and always came back. He became a staple in the town, and everyone knew not to bother him. Tar pinned his ears back whenever anyone came too close.

But what surprised Alberto was the creature's fondness for children. The Kelpie let them climb all over him and gave them frequent rides around the square.

However, at night, the stallion refused to leave Alberto's side. Even at night, he insisted on sleeping in the yard below his window. But cold winds brought storms through the area, and Alberto worried for the animal.

With the additional help of Massimo and Mattias, they managed to errect a small barn in the yard, equipped with a heater and a soft padding of hay. Tartanum was hesitant to walk into the enclosed space at first, but with Alberto's humming and reassurance, the beast entered. Now Tartanum slept in the small barn every night.

Sometimes, when the air was still, Alberto could hear the creatures humming. And he hummed back—their song connecting them.

"We can start construction for the schoolhouse when the snow melts," Alberto said.

Luca turned to him in surprise.

"How? I still don't have enough saved."

"If I open the Pescheria a couple of weeks early, we'll have enough to start the schoolhouse."