Chapter 20

TW in the description

Authors Note:
Just as promised I posted 18-20 on the same day! I know they're some hard chapters to get through. I'm not gonna lie I wrote these while going through a very hard time in my life, and it definitely reflected in the story. But don't worry there is an AMAZING HEA coming!!!!

Luca POV

It was less than twenty-four hours before Luca heard a knock on the door. He listened to a greeting from Gabriella, then a second voice.

"Just one minute," she said.

Luca counted Gabriella's footsteps to his room. Ten, to be exact. She knocked on his door.

"Luca? A young man is here to see you. He looks rather put out." She commented, her voice edged with concern.

Luca didn't reply right away. He just wanted a precious few minutes to himself—just a few more breaths.

"Luca, may I come in?" Gabriella asked when he didn't reply.

"Yes."

The door creaked open, and Gabriella poked her head in, wearing a paint-stained shirt and jeans.

"Sweatheart, the young man says he wants to talk to you, and that's its urgent. I think he's been crying."

Luca sat up.

"I'll see him."

Gabriella let out a little squeak of surprise as she watched Luca stand. He wore nothing but a thin pair of long pajama pants. He reached for a shirt, and he was acutely aware as Gabriella watched him, probably counting his bruises and cuts.

"Maybe I should tell him to come another time. You don't look well, dear."

But Luca shook his head.

"No, I should see him."

He wobbled a bit as he stood, but made his way to the door on too-thin legs.

"Let's take this outside," Luca said as Leo opened his mouth to speak.

Whatever Leo wanted to say didn't need to be heard by Massimo and Gabriella.

Dolce followed Luca out the bedroom door and growled at Leo.

"I see I still need to win you over," Leo said, smiling at the dog. "I'll convince you to like me."

Then his eyes fell to Luca.

"Just like you."

"I said outside," Luca said in a firm voice pulling on his boots and storming passed Leo as he pulled on a jacket.

Once outside, they made their way to the small backyard of the Pescheria. There was nothing besides a few old boat parts, a wagon wheel, and a tree—the tree containing a new hideout.

"Wanna talk up there?" Leo asked, pointing at the tree fort.

"No," Luca said much too quickly. When Leo raised his eyebrows, Luca added, "I don't like climbing trees."

Leo nodded, accepting his answer as truth.

"So what did you want to say?" Luca asked, but he already knew.

Leo looked at him with puffy red-rimmed eyes. He'd been crying. Again.

"Luca, I am so so sorry. I don't know what happened. I said I wouldn't do anything like that, then I.... But the way you were kissing me, I thought you wanted... I'm sorry." Leo said, pulling Luca into a too-tight hug.