The Skirt

It's fun to be someone with two birthday dates

It's fun to be someone with two birthday dates. How is that possible would you ask?

In 1582 Pope Gregory XIII created the Gregorian calendar, coined the term "leap year" and established February 29 as the official date to ad to a leap year.

And that is how it is possible to have two birthdates.

Saundra Vespertine was born 29 February 1588. But because there is only a 29 February every four years, she also had a birthdate of 1 March.

On 1 March 1606, the 18 year old Saundra Vespertine was walking to the bank. Her mother's Will was waiting there for her and it said that she was allowed to get all off her mother's belongings when she turned 18. If of course her mother passed away before that.

Which she did, when Saundra was seven years old.

Saundra have grown a lot. Learned a lot and stole a lot. And forgot all about the Dreaming, Lucienne and Morpheus.

The children's home that she lived in was getting worse and worse, and she felt like it was her responsibility to help the younger children.

So at 14 years old she went out at night and stole food from whatever place she could break in to. After a year, she got good at it but still had a lot to learn. She took Hob's stealing advice to heart and used it every night.

But it wasn't enough to keep her safe and alive.

One night she was climbing out of a three story window with a bag full of bread. She gently landing on her feet, like she has been practicing. She has gotten good at climbing out of windows and over high walls. The art of escaping was her forte.

But sneaking around was not. Yet.

She turned around and saw a middle age man with a baker's apron and two dagger, one in each hand. Saundra just began to run the other way when she heard his two smooth and fast footsteps and then she fell on her back. The baker kicked her feet out from under her.

He placed his foot on top of her to keep her down and pressed one of the daggers against her neck but the blade wasn't braking her skin.

"Now, I'm gonna asked just this once, what where you doing, dangling out of my window in the middle of the night." he said very calmly with his gravelly voice. His breath stank of garlic but the cold, terrifying chill that cramped down her back closed off all of her senses.

"The truth." He said with a threat laced somewhere in his words.

She was taking too long to answer so he pressed the dagger harsher into her neck and it draw a little bit of blood. He was probably thinking that she was trying to come up with a lie.

She tried to answer him but she was so scared, her mouth went numb.

He harshly grabbed onto her bag, ripping it open to see what was inside. Bread, most likely the bread that he just made because it was still warm when she took it.