The New Visitor

Saundra rode into the new town she would be staying for the next five years, maybe less

Saundra rode into the new town she would be staying for the next five years, maybe less. Her, yet to be named, brown, almost red coloured horse that was as tired as she was, was ready to just get settled and take a long dreamless nap.

As she got to the middle of the town, she felt curiosity radiating off the people staring at her as she rode past them.

All these new and unfamiliar faces just made her wish she stayed with Hob. But she had to go, to skip the suspicion for the both of them and the horrible consequences that would follow.

Saundra followed her usual routine for when she arrives in a new town. She rides through town to her small house that is just a little bit outside of town. The town seemed peaceful. Like everyone lives harmoniously, without a higher source of power ruling over it. Saundra unpacked, took her long awaited dreamless nap and then went to the library to see if there is a job opening waiting for her.

She met the head librarian. A young woman. She looks about 20, the same time that Saundra stopped aging. Her name was Gwen and she had long, braided strawberry blond hair.

Saundra didn’t spend a lot of her time and words to convince Gwen. Gwen gave her the job almost immediately because it was just Gwen working in the library, so she needed the help.

The next day Saundra started working at the library and like most of the libraries that she has worked at, it was a mess. She slowly started to give Gwen the ideas on how to manage the library easier, by sorting the books in genre and then alphabetical.

Gwen gladly accepted the advice and agreed. So the next day they started with their work by going through all the books in the library and sorting them into genres.

One day, Saundra was working in the farthest corner in the library when she heard Gwen's voice talking with distress in the distance. There were three men standing at the entrance of the library. They were neatly dressed but from Saundra’s personal experience, they were far from gentlemen.

The man in the middle pointed his finger threateningly at Gwen while saying something to her. Saundra couldn’t make it out but Gwen quickly nodded at what he said but her eyes hadn't left the ground, not daring to make eye contact with the men in front of her.

"Good." Saundra heard the man say to Gwen before he turned around and walked out of the library. The other two turned around and followed him. The last man reached out his hand with ugly long fingernails and picked up Gwen's apple that was on the table. He took a bite out of it, placed it back on the table and then followed his master like a good loyal dog.

Saundra watched the men as they walked past the library's two big windows. And one word came to her mind. Trouble.

How could she be so hopeful to believe that there would be one town on this green and blue planet that didn’t have someone who would use their power to make their lives easier by making the rest suffer?