Chapter 3

One afternoon, Blaire was changing out of her gym clothes after tennis practice. As she was walking towards her car, she heard Jenna and Mr. Tanner's voices. She was confused for a moment until she remembered that Jenna had a parent-teacher conference this afternoon. She wasn't going to eavesdrop, but then she headed what Tanner was saying.

"As Jeremy and Blaire's teacher, I'm concerned." Tanner started. "It's only been three days back at school and Jeremy's already skipped six classes."

"Really?" Jenna asked. "That's kind of hard to do."

"Not when you're on drugs. The symptoms are all there." Tanner said. "Now Blaire used to be a good student, but ever since school has started back up, she has been disrespectful."

"How has she been disrespectful?" Jenna asked.

"She came into my class late on the first day and yesterday she walked out in the middle of class." Tanner said. "I can imagine she's doing it in other classes, as well."

"Mr. Tanner, I'm sure you're aware that Jeremy, Elena, and Blaire's parents were killed in a car accident." Jenna said.

"Yes, I'm aware of that. But, that was four months ago." Tanner replied. "A tragic loss, I will say. And how are you related to the deceased? The mother's kid sister."

He then said something about her not being good at taking care of them. Blaire stopped listening after that and stormed out of the school to her car.

"Blaire!" She heard someone call.

Blaire looked up to see Stefan approaching her.

"Hey, are you ok?" He asked. "I heard the conversation Mr. Tanner had with your aunt and I noticed you listening."

"Yeah, I'm fine." Blaire said.

"Do you want to grab a bite at the Grill?" Stefan asked.

Blaire thought for a moment. "Alright." She said. "I'll meet you there." Stefan nodded. Blaire put her stuff in the trunk and got in the car.

A few minutes later, the two were sitting at a table in the Grill.

"I hate Tanner so much." Blaire said. "He's just so inconsiderate of what my family has been through. How dare he say that my aunt can't take care of us." Blaire was getting herself worked up and upset, but she was determined not to cry in public.

"Yeah, I'm gathering that Tanner's a difficult guy to get along with." Stefan said.

"I'm sorry." Blaire said. "Between the past two days, I'm sure you're wondering what's going on with my family."

"It's none of my business to know." Stefan said.

Blaire sighed. She felt like she could trust him. She just wasn't ready to say anything.

"Did you hear about that comet that's going to pass by tomorrow night?" Stefan asked.

"Yeah." Blaire said. "It should be interesting."

"Would you want to watch it together?" Stefan asked.

"Oh." Blaire said, caught off guard by the question.

"You don't have to, if you don't want to." Stefan said.

"No." Blaire said. "That sounds great."

"Great." Stefan said.

"I better get home." Blaire said.

"I'll see you tomorrow, then." Stefan said.

Blaire nodded before heading home. When she walked into the house, she dropped her stuff and sat against the door, letting out the sobs that she forced herself to keep inside before.