Chapter 5

Later that evening, Blaire was helping Elena and Bonnie get ready for the dinner. Bonnie was talking to them about how she thinks she's psychic.

"You explain it." Bonnie started. "Last night, I'm watching Nine-o, a commercial breaks come on and I'm like, I bet it's that phone commercial. And sure enough, it's that guy and the girl with the bench, he flies to Paris and he flies back. They take a picture."

"Oh, come on." Blaire said. "That commercial's on a constant loop."

"Well, how about this? Today I'm obsessed with numbers. 3 numbers." Bonnie continued. "I keep seeing 8, 14, and 22. How weird is that?"

"Maybe we should play the lottery." Elena joked.

"Have you talked to your Grams about this?" Blaire asked.

"She's just gonna say it's because I'm a witch." Bonnie said. "I don't want to be a witch."

Just then, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." Blaire said before heading towards the door. She opened it to see Stefan. "Hey." She greeted.

"Hi." Stefan said.

"Come on in." Blaire said.

"Thanks." Stefan said as he stepped into the house.

"So, couldn't make it to my tennis match?" Blaire asked.

"No, I'm sorry. I got held up with something." Stefan said. "But, I promise I'll make it one of your matches."

"No, I know. Elena told me." Blaire said. "I was only teasing."

"Very funny." Stefan said with a chuckle.

"So, did you make the team?" Blaire asked.

"I did." Stefan said.

"That's great." Blaire said. "Congrats."

"Thank you." Stefan said.

"Come on." Blaire said. "Dinner's ready."

Stefan followed her into the kitchen. "Hi girls." He greeted Bonnie and Elena.

"Hi Stefan." Elena said.

They all sat down at the table.

"So Stefan." Elena started. "Did Tanner give you a hard time today?

"Well, he let me on the team." Stefan said. "So I must have done something right."

"Bonnie, you should have seen Stefan today." Blaire said. "Tyler threw a ball right at him, and..."

"Yeah, I heard." Bonnie interrupted.

"Why don't you tell Stefan about your family?" Elena said.

"Um, divorced. No mom. Live with my dad." Bonnie said.

"No, about the witches." Elena said.

"Bonnie's family has a lineage of witches." Blaire said. "It's really cool."

"Cool isn't the word I'd use." Bonnie said.

"Well, it's certainly interesting." Stefan said. "I'm not too versed, but I do know that there's a history of Celtic druids that migrated here in the 1800s."

"My family came by way of Salem." Bonnie said.

"Really?" Stefan said. "I would say that's pretty cool."

"Why?" Bonnie asked.

"Salem witches are heroic examples of individualism and nonconformity." Stefan said.

"Yeah, they are." Bonnie agreed.

Just then, the doorbell rang.

"I wonder who that could be." Elena said.

They opened the door to see Caroline and Damon.

"Surprise!" Caroline said. "Bonnie said you were doing dinner, so we brought dessert."

Blaire rolled her eyes. This was just like Caroline. She always had to be apart of everything. Blaire wasn't as good of friends with Caroline because of this. She didn't like how Caroline always had to be the center of attention and be apart of everything.

"Hope you don't mind." Damon said.

"Yes, actually. We do mind." Blaire mumbled under her breath. She didn't think anyone heard her, but Stefan glanced at her.

"What are you doing here?" Stefan asked, turning back to Damon.

"Waiting for Elena and Blaire to invite me in." Damon replied.

"Oh, yeah." Elena said.

"No, no, no. He,uh, he can't stay." Stefan said. "We're just finishing up, anyway."

"It's fine. Just come on in." Elena said.

"You have a beautiful home, Elena and Blaire." Damon said.

"Thank you." Elena said.

While they all talked in the living room, Blaire cleaned up dinner. She was still able to hear what they were saying.

"I have one more glass for you."

Blaire heard someone say. She turned around to see Damon. "Uh. Thanks." She said, taking the glass.

"Not feeling social?" Damon asked.

"No. I'll join everyone in a minute." Blaire said. "Just wanted to clean up dinner."

"I like you. You know how to laugh." Damon said. "And you make Stefan smile, which is something I haven't seen in a very long time."

"Whatever you're going to tell me about Stefan's ex, I don't want to hear it." Blaire said. "I don't really care if he had an ex girlfriend. Stefan and I are just friends."

"Well, I think you guys would be good together." Damon said.

Blaire didn't answer and just continued with the dishes.