Baby Tears

Tap tap tap

I turn in bed as the knocking on the door keeps sounding.

I groan loudly and try to get up but am held down by a heavy weight on my stomach. I frown and look down to see Nessa's leg on me.

I grumble and push her leg aside. She opens her eyes and mumbles some jiberish before going straight back to sleep.

I sat up thinking of a reason why I woke up just as another knock sounded again

I grumpily got out of bed and walked to the door. It was already around 6 in the morning.

I opened the door and saw no one.

I looked around and there was no cliché basket filled with a baby.

I frowned in confusion and walked a bit forward out of the little porch like tunnel leading to my doorway.

I then heard some rustling in the flowers out front. I walked towards it slowly and I saw a.........

Baby

I was so confused and frozen in place until the baby started screaming. Something pulled at my heart and I picked up the little child. I looked around confused trying to find traces of a mother or something.

I kept rocking the baby trying to quiet it down.

I looked in the box and saw some things that looked important so I took the box along with the child and walked back inside.

The baby was still crying and I decided to take some milk from the fridge. I warmed it up and tried to give it to baby with a spoon. The baby lapped it up and I smiled at that.

It was so cute I gushed in my head. After feeding it half the cup, I decided to check its gender.

It was a girl. And I also discovered she was totally soiled.

I looked in the box and saw some baby essentials so I used those for her. She had this cute little birth mark on her bum. I found it really cute.

After I cleaned her up, I carried her along with the box to the living room. I lay the lounge blanket on the coffee table and put her on it.

I started rummaging through the box and saw many little things as she occupied herself with trying to put her foot in her mouth. She looked no older than 4 months.

I saw a birth certificate and a blanket with a strange design. Like a family emblem or something. I didn’t think too much of it and I handed it to her.

She took it with a giggle and mumbled something. I cooed at her before continuing my search.

I saw a letter fall out of the certificate as I unfolded it. I picked it up and read

I'm sorry for this burden I'm putting on you. I know you are in no way ready for this but please, protect my angel. I know she'll be safe with you and please love her for me. The certificate is legally authorized. Just put your name as her mother and pick any name for her. That's my thanks to you for this trouble.

Please include Zarah as her middle name, that's all I ask.

Let her feel my love through your love for her. And tell my baby I'm truly sorry but I had no choice. We'll probably meet up there one day but I will always be in her heart.

                    Love, zarahs mother.

I finished reading with a frown on my face. I didn’t know this person but I had a feeling of obligation to her. As I looked at the gurgling baby in my living room, I felt this strong motherly instinct and I knew, there was no way I would let her go.

I took the certificate and the pen. Just when I was about to write, Nessa walked in with a loud unladylike yawn.

I nearly forgot she was here.

She looked at me, smiled, looked at the table, frowned and looked back at me.

"what year is this"

I just looked at her with a cocked brow. She started screaming "oh shit Vega, how do u have a fucking baby. Wait--no n-no. You aren't into kidnapping are you. I swear we're best friends but I'll turn you in. Ple-"

"it's okay Nessa. Come sit let me explain"

She reluctantly walked over to me. I narrated everything to her and she sat with her mouth open. She then looked at me " What are you gonna do"

"I don't know " I sighed. " But I know I can't let her go now. I feel connected to her Nessa, she's my baby now"

She looked at me and nodded " I understand. I'll be here for you. It won't be easy but we got this. Just be careful honey. Something seems fishy"

I nodded and proceeded to fill the certificate with my bestie's permission.

I named her Jada. Jada Zarah Thompson

I'd change her last name eventually.

I looked at the baby. My baby

She was looking at me curiously with her fist in her mouth. I smiled and said

" Welcome to  the family Jada"  she gurgle something at me and I picked her up and gave her kisses all over. She started giggling soo much and I decided to call her giggles.

I already loved my little giggles.