A Day At Work

" Vega, Mr Smith is asking for you" I looked up from the computer at the front desk to look at Mary. A single mom co-worker I warmed up to quite easily.

I sighed with a tired smile on my face. " Okay thanks" she laughed at the tired look on my face

" Your new husband is being quite the handful huh"

I rolled my eyes and muttered " you have no idea"

Mr Smith is one of our patients who claimed to be in love with me. He is currently sixty-five years old and has that adorable old people smell. He has a son in South Africa who left him here for years now

He started calling me his wife ever since I was assigned to him. Don't get me wrong, he's amazing but he takes so much of my time. He's sometimes too demanding. Like very very demanding.

I walked into the lounge room where a bunch of old people were chatting and having fun with a few care givers.

I spotted Mr Smith with a glass of juice in a corner with a few friends.

I sighed and approached him with a smile

" Good morning again Mr Smith". This was the fifth time I was summoned by him. And it's only 9am.

" oh Vega! I've missed you" he said in that old man voice. I smiled at him reaching to his outstretched arms. He has short term memory loss.

I hugged him while patting his back. "I've missed you too Mr Smith"

"Oh call me Freddie"

I chuckled " Okay Freddie, let's get you showered"

"already did that"

"oh really" I looked at him not believing a word,but deciding to entertain him

"yup. Claudia helped me take one last night"

"mmmm" I responded while helping him up off the couch onto his wheel chair.

" Well Freddie I want to help you take another shower. Won't you let me Freddie" I said with a little pout to try to sway him.

"oh well I can't say no to that cute face" I giggle at his attempt at flirtation and pushed him out of the lounge towards his room.

Most of the patients in wheelchairs are kept downstairs. Honestly this home is more like a hotel or boarding house for rich old people. Really, it is nothing like the state homes.

It had twenty bedrooms with built in bathrooms, an administration, two kitchens, a sauna and an out door pool for therapy and recreation. The whole place was built for comfort as well as recovery. Along with these benefits came the price though.

Good thing is most of these oldies as we call them are from very rich backgrounds. Very very rich backgrounds.

I pushed him to his room and helped him out of his clothes. He started telling me about his time as a fire fighter and how he did everything to give his son the best education.

I hummed as I went about preparing his bath essentials. I got him into the tub as he started singing a hymn. I washed him and dried him off.

I got him to his room and helped him with his clothes. When we were done, I checked the time and saw it was nearly brunch time. "okay Freddie, it's time for your medicine" he groaned in protest but still took them when I gave it to him.

I then took him out to the backyard for some sun. I left him there with some of his friends and went back to the front desk. Mary was there with a doughnut halfway to her mouth

When she noticed me, she grinned and asked " how was it"

I rolled my eyes "you know it was tiring. But he's just so cute".

She smiled in understanding and got up to leave. "Well I'm off then. Thanks for helping Vega" I smiled.

I was hired as a receptionist but I helped on days we were short on staff.

I sat down and started going through the patient files and preparing receipts for those done with their therapy.

I did that for a few hours when I heard a throat clear. I looked up and saw a young good looking man. He was in a suit with gold rimmed glasses that fit his muscular face well. He had bulging muscles that made his suit a tight fit. He hard black thick hair that was tied in a bun. He had a little stubble on his chin that gave him a regal look. I could see some tattoos peeking from his knuckles. He had on a straight face. No emotion whatsoever. His eyes were the sharpest gray I'd ever seen. Honestly, he looked amazing.

I quickly stood up with a smile.

"Welcome to Divine Health home. How may I help you"

He stared at me for a while before replying "I'm here for Veronica Santos" I nodded and bent down to go through our patient database.

"Oh sorry but she was discharged a while ago". He nodded with a sigh.

"I'm Demetrius Romano." he said extending a hand to me.

" Oh I'm Vega. Vega Thompson" he nodded once more and turned to leave. When he got to the door, he turned back to me and said "I'll see you soon Vega"

I smiled a bit at that.