chapter 4: cady

helloooo everyone happy wednesday welcome to chapter 4 woo

couple quick things: i have suddenly and arbitrarily decided that in this story janis is lindsay heather pearce's (just a bit taller lol) bc i saw her on tour and i'm not gay for her at allllll. also cady is danie wade and damian is grey henson but if any of that puts you off you can ignore it and just imagine whoever you want!

also for the sake of the story we're gonna pretend football and cheerleading are year round sports instead of just in the fall!! bc that's a lot for like three months :p

anyhoo! tw for
general homophobia
use of dslur
party shit (alcohol etc)
drugging

as always if i've missed something please let me know so i can add it! and enjoy!

—————

"Cady, first practice is after school in the gym today," Regina says at lunch.

"Already? Tryouts were only yesterday," Cady says.

"We need to start practicing, the first game is in two weeks," Regina tuts. "Is that an issue?"

"No! No, uh... I'll just let my mom know. I'll be there," Cady stutters anxiously. She pulls out her phone to text her parents and let them know to pick her up late. "Um, what time will we be done?"

"Four," Gretchen says kindly. "Ish."

"I'll take you home. We should take you to the mall, update your wardrobe," Regina says. It's not a question. Cady isn't sure how her parents will feel about it, but she gets the feeling it's better to deal with whatever her parents will do than the wrath of Regina George. 

"Thanks," Cady says gratefully. She gets the information sent to her parents and clicks her phone back off. "So, um... who all is on the team?"

"The four of us, Sophie Kowachi, Dawn Schweitzer, and Rachel Hamilton are varsity," Karen says. "We don't really talk about junior varsity. Sonja Acquino is the mascot. Oh, and Damian Hubbard is varsity too, I forgot about him."

Regina snorts when she hears his name. Cady looks at her in confusion. "Why is that funny?"

"Can't you tell? He's a total weirdo. Him and his little art freak," Regina titters. "Both flaming gays. Shame it's in the wrong direction, those two freaks would've been perfect for each other."

Cady looks where she's pointing and sees the punk girl from first period math she saw on her first day sitting across from a tall boy. He's facing away from her, so she can only make out his curly brown hair and pink plaid flannel.

Anyone who wears flannel can't be so bad. They seem a little lonely all alone there, sure, but Cady can't sense anything inherently bad about them. Then again, she couldn't sense anything bad about her friends, either, and they're already showing their true colors.

"Who's that girl?"

"Janis Sarkisian. Damian's little... friend," Regina says.

"Janis and Regina were best friends in middle school," Gretchen says. Cady looks back over at her. She finds that really hard to believe. Janis doesn't seem the type.

"She's so weird, she was, like, totally obsessed with me," Regina says, obnoxiously smacking her lips after a swipe of gloss. "Guess we know why, now."

"O-oh-" Cady stutters.

"She's totally gay!" Gretchen butts in.

"That's, um..."

"I mean, she was my best friend, but she started getting, like, really weirdly jealous of my boyfriend at the time," Regina hums. "Like, texting me all the time when I blew her off to hang out with him and stuff like that."