chapter 6: cady

part two of mean girls day chapters woo

tw for
discussion of drugging
discussion of assault (physical and sexual)
and as always if i've missed any please let me know so i can add it in :)

enjoy!

—————

Cady groans as she wakes up. All her bones feel like lead, and her eyelids feel like they've been weighted down.

She forces them open and tries to stretch. God, what happened to my bed? It used to be way comfier.

She pauses mid-stretch, arms over her head, and looks around. No wonder she's so uncomfortable. It's not her bed.

"Cady?" a voice asks.

"Aaron?" Cady croaks. "What-"

"Oh, uh... do you want me to go?" Aaron asks worriedly.

"No! No, I just... what happened?"

Aaron's face falls. Cady can hear her heart rate picking up on the monitor next to her. What if I'm dying?

"I'm so sorry, Cady, I should've never left you alone," Aaron says. "Um... you were... you got dosed. Someone drugged you."

"Drugged me?!" Cady says frantically.

"Yeah. Do you remember anything?"

"I remember... talking to you, even though I couldn't really hear you over the music... and then you left for a bit, and then... Shane..."

Aaron nods as she trails off. "Yeah. It was him."

"Where is he?" Cady asks in fright. "Is he-"

"He's not here. Probably should be. He got fucked up bad," Aaron says. "Nobody but a few people know what he did, yet, so nothing's been done. It's up to you if you want to try to press charges."

"Try to?"

"I hate to say it, Cades, but... assault is already treated really leniently. Janis stepped in before he could, so all you can really try for is... intent to, and the drugging, I guess," Aaron says.

"Janis?" Cady asks.

"Sarkisian. She's the one who found you," Aaron says. "Fought Shane off before he could do anything and called us to help get you here."

"Oh," Cady murmurs. "Is she here?"

Something flashes in Aaron's eyes at the question before he shakes his head. "No, she left last night a bit after she brought you here. She wouldn't let me near you. Which I get, I'm... a football player too. So I figured I'd wait until today to come see how you're doing."

Cady isn't sure how to respond to that. Her head is still swimming, and the story she's just been told is... a lot, to put it delicately.

"Thanks for coming," she says. "It's nice of you to come see me."

"It's my fault you're here," Aaron says sadly. "I shouldn't have left you alone."

"You couldn't have known this would happen," Cady says. "I shouldn't have just... taken a random drink from someone I don't really know."

"You didn't know who you should trust. You've never been to a party, of course you wouldn't know," Aaron says. "I'm so sorry, Cady."

"I don't blame you," Cady says quietly, resting a hand over his. "So don't blame yourself. I already feel okay, and... I got lucky, so nothing happened. Let's just agree we both messed up, okay?"