chapter 5: janis

HAPPY MEAN GIRLS DAAAAYY WOO

welcome to two bonus chapters that i'm definitely only posting for mean girls day and definitely not because the halloween chapter is the only thing i have lined up for halloween this year but i fucked up the scheduling and this is the only way to get it out on time wooo!!

tw for
drugs/alcohol
drugging/roofies
general sexism
general homophobia
mild violence
attempted r*pe
and as always please let me know if i've missed something so i can add it in :)

enjoy!

—————

"Morning, Papa," Janis yawns when she comes downstairs for breakfast. She wishes she had a way to stop being so exhausted in the mornings. It's some of the only real time she gets to spend with her father.

"Morning, rock star," her dad greets. Janis gets herself a bowl of cereal and pours the last mug of coffee her dad made. She sits next to him at the table and yawns at her breakfast.

Janis pushes her Cheerios around her bowl for a moment, taking a single bite to stall for time. She takes a deep breath before she asks, "Do you think you can come to my game tonight?"

"Shit, is that tonight?" her dad asks. Janis feels her heart sink, and she nods.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it," she says.

"No, stellina, no," her father says. "What time does it start?"

"Six."

"Let me make some calls," her father says. "I might be late, but I'll be there."

"Really?"

"Really. I haven't... I haven't been there for you nearly enough, since..." her dad sighs, trailing off before he finishes his sentence. "I'll be there if I have to bring my clients along and have my meetings in the bleachers."

"Thanks, Papa," Janis replies. She grins sheepishly at her cereal when he ruffles her bedhead and kisses the top of her head.

"No problem, Janny," he murmurs. "Have a good day."

"You too," Janis says.

—————

Damian picks her up that morning, and almost chokes at her getup.

"Shut up," Janis grumbles as she tosses her backpack in the backseat. "We have to wear this."

"I know, I just never thought I'd see you looking like such a jock," Damian teases. "You're even wearing pants!"

"Jersey doesn't work with the tights," Janis sighs, tugging at the uncomfortable denim of her black jeans. "Or the jacket."

"Never thought I'd see the day," Damian replies. He glances briefly at the white long sleeved undershirt she has on beneath her blue jersey, but doesn't mention it. They both know why it's there. He doesn't need to bring it up unnecessarily.

"Surprised you don't have a bow," Janis chuckles, looking at her friend in his cheer uniform.

"I ordered one," Damian says. Janis isn't terribly surprised. "My hair isn't long enough for the clip."

Janis looks in the backseat when he motions vaguely in that direction, seeing the bow clipped to the handle. She undoes it and folds down her mirror. Damian looks at her in confusion as she ties her hair back into a ponytail and clips the bow to her hair tie.

"I think that means we're dating now," he jokes. Janis laughs and flips the visor back up.

"Really? I thought you have to wear my jersey for that," she says.