Sink or Swim

"I wish you had mentioned earlier that you two were coming," Bailey said, as she wiggled herself out of the back seat of the fancy sports car, and Trip handed the keys to the valet. Who even hires a valet for a party at their house? I am so out of my league, Bailey thought, but determined to act like this was the sort of event she attended all the time.

            She had to admit it was some house. Miami was renowned for its waterfront mansions, and Sam Flanagan's was certainly no exception. She swallowed hard.

            "Come on, don't tell me you're still nervous," Mitsy said. "And stop fussing with your dress; it's perfect."

            "I can't believe you never told me until this morning that you guys were on the guest list."

            "Sweetie, this welcome party combined networking event was mostly my idea. I thought I did mention it. Plus, I'd have told you last night if you'd actually come home last night," Mitsy said slyly, then laughed. She looped her arm through Bailey's. "Come on, the point is to just have fun."

            "Easy for you to say. This is my first official appearance in my new job. Are you sure I shouldn't have dressed up a little more professionally?"

            "It's a pool party," Mitsy said. "Your sundress is perfect."

            "You mean your sundress." She'd raided Mitsy's massive closet after her friend stopped laughing at the outfits Bailey had spread out on her bed to consider. Ok, so maybe the clothes she'd selected had been a little stiff and formal. But how was she supposed to know what to wear to an event that was part welcoming party and part opportunity for her to make the connections with area businesses that she desperately needed for Tito's fledgling summer program for kids who really, really needed a second chance. Kids whose everyday lives were very much different than the lives of the people she'd be meeting and mingling with today.

            "You both look amazing," Trip said, as they walked up the wide, marble steps that were the entrance to the house. 

            Bailey sighed, then took a deep breath and walked through the door Trip was holding open for both of them. And was almost knocked off her feet by a wet and shrieking toddler in a neon pink bathing suit who careened into her, with a girl who looked like she was right off the cover of Teen Vogue chasing after her.

            "Oh no you don't, Sophia!" The girl scooped up the wiggling child whose shrieks had now transformed into peels of laughter.

            "Sorry," she said, glancing at Bailey. "Are you okay?"

            "Yes, I'm . . . yes, no worries." Maybe this event actually was a little more casual than she'd been expecting.

            "Looks like you're on kid duty, Olivia." Mitsy leaned toward Sophia. "And you," she said, giving the little girl a quick tickle, "almost took out the guest of honor."

            "You're Bailey Reid? Hi. I'm Olivia, Camilla's sister. And this,"  Olivia said, jostling the toddler in one arm and she reached out to shake hands with Bailey, "is the hurricane named Sophia. Sam and Camilla's daughter."

            "It's great to meet you," Bailey said.

            "Just go on through – pretty much everyone's out at the pool," Olivia said, gesturing.

            As Bailey walked across the sun-drenched living room – and approached the wide sets of open French doors that made the terrace just beyond look like an extension of the indoor living space – she was instantly grateful for Mitsy's advice. Mitsy who always knew exactly what to wear for any occasion. Unlike Bailey who struggled to figure out the dress code for new events, with the assistance of Google.