The Truth About Everything

"Oh, no," Bailey said. "This is not happening. You don't get to just show up in my apartment anytime you want. You need to leave, now. And I want my key back." She held out her hand.

Jack walked across the room toward her, but instead of dropping the key into her outstretched hand, he took it in both of his, held it.

Jack stared down at her hand in his, ran his thumb across the palm. She was determined not to tremble.

"I don't know how I didn't see it." His voice was low. "Even your hands are Sparrow's." He raised his eyes to look at her face and Bailey felt her heart lurch, just a little.

She yanked her hand back. "You don't get to call me that. That girl isn't me, not anymore. I'm Bailey Reid now."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

She brushed past him and walked over to the short kitchen island and leaned against one of the stools to steady herself. She was damned if she'd let him know the effect he still had on her. Even when she was furious, part of her wanted to wrap her arms around him and rest her head on his shoulder. Letting him know how much she cared about him would only make this so much harder.

She kept her own voice as calm and measured as his had been when he asked the question.

"What's the point? You obviously already made up your mind about why you think I didn't tell you. So let's just leave it at that."

"I don't like being made a fool of."

"And I don't like being accused of fraud. So I guess we're even."

He walked toward her. "Bailey, why did you pretend to be someone else? You had so many chances to tell me the truth."

"I didn't pretend to be someone else. I am someone else. I reinvented myself on that farm in Iowa, with parents who actually love me."

"Do you expect me to believe that you showing up at the bachelor auction was just an accident? A coincidence?"

"I don't care what you believe."

He put his fingers lightly under her chin and turned her head to face him. "You're lying."

"Like I said, believe what you want. We're done, anyway, so what difference does it make?" She shifted back so she was sitting on the bar stool. Being this close to him was unnerving.

"Oh, we're far from done," Jack said, moving in closer. He put his hands on either side of her against the counter, and she realized she was trapped.

"Look me in the eye, Bailey, and tell me that you had no idea I would be at that charity event. That you didn't plan for us to meet."

She stared back at him. "I had no idea you would be at that charity event. I didn't plan for us to meet. God, your ego must be as tall as the office tower you work in."

Bailey shifted in her seat. He was too close. Just breathing in the scent of him - that mixture of expensive cologne and the uniquely Jack scent of his skin that always reminded her of sailing and salty breezes - made it hard for her to concentrate. Made it hard for her to remember that he was the one who had forgotten about her. That he was the one who'd turned into the cold person she didn't even recognize when they were in in Sag Harbor and he realized who she was.

"It's time for you to leave," Bailey said, pressing a hand against his chest. Which was a mistake, because she could swear she felt his heart beating. Her own pulse was racing out of control. It wasn't fair, him standing this close to her. It made her want things she could never have.