The Proposal

"This is all happening too fast," Bailey insisted, and the panic and uncertainty on her face sliced him through the heart.

How could she not see that they belonged together? He'd really believed, when he'd initially proposed the idea of a temporary "pretend" relationship, that it would be a simple matter to ease her into the real thing. To get her to forget her notions about social classes and what a barrier his wealth was. It had been a bit of a shock because in the past his status as a successful lawyer, his lineage, and his family's generational wealth had made him more attractive to the women he dated.

Of course, he reminded himself, the fact that he'd mostly dated women from similar backgrounds to his own had probably skewed his perceptions on this point.

All his life his mother had warned him that girls with "lesser social standings" would try to trap him. Somehow that notion had crept into his subconscious and almost cost him the love of his life.

"It's not too fast," Jonathon said. "In fact, it's long overdue, considering the promises we made when we were kids. To find a way to always be best friends and be together, no matter where else our lives took us," he reminded her.

"Kids think anything's possible," Bailey said.

"Anything is possible," Jonathon countered, "as long as I'm with you."

It was do or die time, Jonathon thought, as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet pouch and then dropped to one knee in front of her.

"He's down on one knee," Adelaide narrated into her cell phone.

"About time," was Harlan's response.

Jonathon ignored them. He could only hear and see one person right now.

He tugged the string on the little pouch, pulling it open, then took out what was inside and held it in his hand.

"He's got a ring," Adelaide said into her phone.

"Showed me that, too," came Harlan's voice, with a satisfied chuckle.

"My grandfather gave me this before I left," Jonathon said, his voice catching in his throat. "He told me there's only one first love, and if I was very lucky, that first love could last a lifetime."

* * *

Bailey felt her own quick intake of breath as she stared at the ring in Jack's hand. If she could have imagined the kind of ring she would have wanted someday, this would be it. Although she knew it had to be very valuable, it was stunning without being ostentatious. It was a solitaire, the round diamond set in a fine rose and white gold band with an intricate design that had to be vintage. And so perfect that what he offered her clearly had a history. Had been the symbol of lasting love before.

"It belonged to her, didn't it? Noreen, JB's first wife."

"Yes," Jack said. "He saved it all these years. He didn't give it to my grandmother, Alice, because he felt she should have her own ring. Not a remembrance of his love for someone else. But he said it had been waiting, tucked away in a drawer, to sparkle again."

"It's lovely," she said, the words coming out in a soft breath. She looked into Jack's eyes. "They lost each other so young. So long ago."

"He loved again. He found my grandmother, and he loved her very much. It was a love that grew stronger over the years. But he never forgot Noreen, his first love.

"I've never forgotten you, Bailey, and I'm sorry I made you feel like I did."

"Oh, Jack."

"Marry me, Bailey. Wear the ring that's waited so long to see the sun again. Marry the man who's been waiting for you all my life. I love you with everything I am, and everything I will ever be. Will you marry me? Make a life and a family with me?"