Hello Caylee

"Caylee, good to see you too," Jonathon managed just before she planted a kiss right on his lips. He could only imagine what Bailey must be thinking.

Jonathon managed to untangle himself from Caylee while sending an apologetic glance over his shoulder to Bailey.

"My cousin Caylee tends to be a bit enthusiastic," he said.

"Oh," Bailey said, the frozen look on her face changing to a tentative smile.

Caylee laughed. "Kissing cousins maybe. We're not exactly related," she said, then frowned at Bailey. "So who are you?"

Before Bailey could answer, Jonathon stepped forward and put his arm around her.

"This is Bailey Reid. My girlfriend," he said pointedly.

Caylee's mouth formed an O and her eyes sparkled.

"Well isn't that interesting. Catherine didn't say anything about you bringing a guest. Or having a girlfriend."

"I'm sure she didn't," Jonathon said. And I'm sure she had her own reasons for inviting Caylee. And asking her to make this little run to the airport. 

"So," Jonathon continued as the three of them walked toward the car. "I'm surprised to see you here. My mother stressed what a small celebration it was going to me. Only close family and friends."

Caylee just laughed. "Jonathon, you wound me. I thought I was your favorite." She put a hand over her heart and stared at him with puppy eyes. "Besides, I'm close family."

"You're my mother's third cousin's stepdaughter."

Caylee ignored him and put her arm through Bailey's.  "So obviously Catherine thinks you're not suitable. She brought me in as a ringer."

"Excuse me?" Bailey's face was calm and expressionless except for the slight lifting of her left eyebrow. But Jonathon wasn't fooled. They weren't even at the house yet and she was probably already regretting coming on this trip.

"Oh don't worry," Caylee said. "Catherine finds me only barely suitable. She's gotten pretty far down the list to get to me," she confided, leaning closer to Bailey.

For once Bailey seemed to be a loss for words.

"But don't be offended," Caylee was quick to add. "The fact that Caroline finds you unsuitable is a good thing. I like you already. Even though you ruined all my fun."

"I ruined your fun." Bailey's tone was measured.

"I was going to play him all weekend," Caylee aid in her bubbly way.  "Pretend I never really got over that crush I had on him when I was 16," she added as Jonathon turned toward her.

"You were pretty damn annoying."  Annoying wasn't the half of it. He had a sudden flashback to walking into his room at the mausoleum in Connecticut in the middle of a particularly tedious cocktail party fundraiser his mother organized benefiting one of the museums in New York City, ostensibly in honor of his 21st birthday - only to find Caylee reclining naked on his bed beside a bucket of champagne.

One look at her and he had walked out of not just the room but the party, succeeding in pissing off his mother. Which wasn't altogether regrettable since, after all, who plans a toney fundraising event for their son's 21st birthday? Like most of what his mother had ever done for him, it was more about her and appearances than genuine affection.

From the mischievous look on her face, Caylee was remembering the same thing.

"Your loss," she said.

"I'm warning you," Jonathon said. "Don't get any ideas this weekend."

"No worries. By the time I was 18 I was well over you." She grinned at Bailey. "I thought he was the most boring person in the world. A law student, for heavens sake. Unfortunately, our mothers got involved."