There's No Place Like Home

The moment the wheels touched down in Des Moines Bailey felt some of the tension leave her body. She hadn't been able to sleep in the Uber on the way to the airport after all, and she'd been too keyed up to sleep on the flight. She imagined her dad had already been in bed by the time the plane took off from JFK at 9:30 p.m., even given the one hour difference in time zones. Harlan was always up before the sun rose, feeding the chickens, opening up the barn to let the horses out of their stalls, and starting his many chores for the day that were just a part of farm life.

When she'd first arrived as a teen to live with the couple who would later become her adoptive parents, Bailey had hated getting up that early in the morning, and usually didn't. But she'd come to love caring for the animals with Harlan and watching the first rays of sunlight take over the sky, almost as much as she'd loved spending countless afternoons in Adelaide's glass studio. Before long she'd wanted to spend those early hours every day with the man whose gruff exterior concealed a soul that quietly tended animals and, just as quietly, a teenage girl's wounded heart.

As soon as she stepped into the concourse she saw Adelaide waiting for her. She was wearing her usual glass-blowing uniform of faded jeans, a cotton t-shirt, and tennis shoes, her wild red hair pulled back in a messy bun. When she spotted Bailey her whole face lit up. This is what love is, Bailey thought, never taking it for granted.

She couldn't believe Adelaide had gone to all the trouble of parking and taking the shuttle here to meet her in the airport, rather than just waiting in the cell phone lot until Bailey's plane landed.

"Mom!" Bailey leaned down and felt the smaller woman's arms wrap around her and hold her tight. Strong arms that wielded the blow pipe and punty with ease in her studio, and could also heft a bale of hay. After a few moments Adelaide pulled back so she could get a good look at Bailey.

"I can tell from your face you have the troubles of the world on your shoulders."

When Bailey started to speak, Adelaide shook her head. "No, don't tell me now. Let's just get you home first. Whatever the trouble is, it won't seem so overwhelming after a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast in the morning."

Bailey reached out and squeezed Adelaide's hand. "Thanks, Mom. It's good to be home."

"It's good to have you, whatever the reason."

Adelaide started walking toward the baggage claim area.

"I don't have any bags. We can go right to the shuttle to the parking lot."

Adelaide glanced back at her. "The parking lot? We're not in the lot. Harlan's picking us up right outside here."

Bailey stopped. "Wait, what? Dad's here too?"

Adelaide shook her head. "Well of course your father's here. You think he'd just wait back at home when it was clear from your call that you're in some kind of trouble?"

As soon as they stepped out Adelaide started to wave, and the battered truck Harlan refused to replace pulled over to the curb. Before he could get out to greet her, Bailey and Adelaide had already opened the doors and climbed it. Harlan had bought the crew cab truck second-hand when Bailey first came to live with them, saying they needed a vehicle with more room inside since there were three of them now. Bailey had thought at the time it was silly. She wouldn't be there long - she never was.

What she hadn't known was that Harlan and Adelaide had seen her file. Seen how many placements there had been and how often she'd run away, and decided on the spot that they would do whatever it took to make sure this was her last time in foster care. They'd decided the surly, defiant 15-year-old would be no match for their gentle but firm mission to wear down all the walls she'd built around her heart.