Chapter Ten

Chapter Nine: The Talkative Friend

"Right, I think we should start with uniforms," Morana informed her brother once they were outside Gringotts, separated from Hagrid, who had trotted off into the Leaky Cauldron for a 'pick-me-up.' She didn't necessarily mind; it would be easier to move in and out of the shops with Hagrid lumbering behind them. 

McGonagall sighed at Hagrid's behavior, relieved Morana was with Harry. She was an intelligent child that could take care of them should anything happen in Hagrid's absence. McGonagall also made a mental note to never allow Hagrid to escort a first-year student to Diagon Alley again - that responsibility would fall onto the shoulders of a proper professor.

Harry glanced around the Alley for a shop that appeared to sell Hogwarts robes, nodding towards 'Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions.'

"How about there?" He suggested, turning to see his sister shove the Vault Statement she received from Ironfang - the manager of the Potter Vaults - deep inside her shabby jacket.

"You know, I still haven't gotten over how mature you are," Irene admitted to her daughter, referring to her younger self. It was strange seeing a child think with a logical mind, to see them think ahead and plan things out. "You'd make a fantastic mother, darling."

Only Tom and Marvolo seemed to notice the pain behind Morana's overly bright smile. It was there, buried deep in her eyes - an old pain that gripped her heart and refused to let go. 

Morana studied the shop with judging eyes. "We'll check it out," she said to her brother, slipping her arm through his so she wouldn't lose him in the crowd. "I believe I also saw another clothing shop up that way, 'Twilfitt and Tattings.'"

"Oh, I love Twilfitt and Tattings!" Narcissa beamed, becoming excited as another thought crossed her mind. "We'll have to go shopping soon, Morana. Or perhaps we could visit the new boutique that opened in France?"

"We went shopping this summer," Morana reminded. "I don't think I need more clothes."

"It wouldn't hurt," Tom smiled down at the redhead in his lap.

 He knew she hated shopping for herself unless necessary. It was an old habit he was trying to help her break; he wanted to spoil her with all the luxuries this world had to offer, but he knew Morana's progress balanced on a thread-thin line. It was a delicate process, but a process he supported her through with the uttermost patience and encouragement.

"Are you on my side or not?" Morana grumbled, pouting when he chuckled.

They headed down the cobblestone street toward Madam Malkin's; Harry studied the sights around him while Morana guided him out of the way of bustling parents as they flitted from shop to shop with their children in tow. 

Morana held open the door for her brother, ushering him inside the small shop, hearing a bell chime overhead. Immediately, they were greeted by a plump, beaming witch dressed all in mauve.

Morana supposed she was quite beautiful in her youth; she could still see lingering traces of attractiveness underneath the wrinkles. 

"You're supposed to hold the door for the lady," Orion grumbled under his breath, earning a quiet laugh from his wife. He always believed a lady should be treated like a queen and every man should be a gentleman. It was how he was raised.