Chapter 37 - Arrival of the Swarms

Destry, Ryelen and I had just reached the corridor to the basement of the abandoned building. We had searched the building thoroughly, killing whatever beasts were left in our quest of finding the portal to Hell.

Usually, demons made their nests around the portals, it was how we managed to get this far on our journey to Hell. The problem was that most portals did not stay open for too long. But, if there was this many demons, then the possibilities of having the portal still open was rather high.

Confidence soared within me. We were so close, I could feel it. So close to reaching Hell and saving my Mira from the devil. I could only hope that she was unharmed and that they had not taken her blood and left her to bleed dry.

Lucifer would not care about her life. Mira was just another being to him, one that had use for him in the interim but not for long. Then she would be worth nothing to him. Lucifer already had a queen, not that I would want him to take an interest in my Mira.

However, if he had taken a liken to her, at least she would be safe and alive, albeit trapped in his clutches. But even so, I would do whatever it takes to save my Mira. Whatever it takes.

“I found something” I heard Destry’s dejected voice say. Immediately I rushed towards the other corner of the darkened basement. I strained my eyes and followed her finger as she pointed to a large storage cabinet.

I went closer, my fingers skimming the edge of the metal cabinet. There was something resembling molten ash that covered the metal. Feeling Ryelen’s presence behind me, I motioned him to step back.

Then I opened the doors to the storage cabinet, nearly falling back with the force and strength of the power the portal was releasing. I felt Ryelen’s firm hands on my back and shoulder. Then he looked at me and laughed.

“We did it brother, we found the portal”. The portal was a large red fiery circular chasm in the wall that was behind the storage cabinet, the backing metal of the cabinet was completely burnt away.

There was also a hissing sound coming from the portal, and that could only mean one thing. A swarm of demons were about to come through. “You hear that sound?” I asked my leader and he nodded his head vigorously. “Get into position”.

“Looks like we came back just in time” I heard Kazier say as he walked down the few steps that bridged the gap between the door and the floor in the basement room. “How are Zeir and Adaeon?” I asked Torrin and he took his place next to me, facing the gory hole in the wall.

“Zeir is much better, but I am worried about Adaeon”. “Worry not brother, he will be well”. “Ok, this is what I want us to do. We are this close to reaching Mira, do not care too much about the demons you do not kill, what is more important is getting into that portal. So, when you get the chance, grab it”.

I nodded my head and then bent my knees a little, securing my footing on the basement’s concrete floor. I was not about to let a demon best me in reaching my destination, definitely not.

The first set of demons were some more of Abadon’s, the lazy demons, and so they were a breeze to kill when being compared to the other greater demons’ pets.

I slashed my sword across the bellies of two, the acrid smell of their insides filled the air, resulting in a curse from Kazier. “I have fucking had it of these creatures!” He screamed in agitation.

Kazier moved in front of me and swooped at the rest, not giving me or any one of us a chance to join in on the fun, killing each and every one of them filthy lazy beasts. He wiped the back of his hand across his cheek to rid his skin of demon blood and stepped aside.

Again, a noise was heard coming from the crater and then it convulsed, letting out a much larger swarm this time. I ducked away in time to save my face from being clawed off by the demons of Mammon.

Unfortunately, two of them managed to dig their claws into Destry and they began trying to fly away with her. Destry unfurled her wings and swooshed it back and forth in the air, making it harder for the demons to take her. Ryelen withdrew his sword and sliced at their heads, helping his lover to pull out the claws that were stuck inside her arms.

Kazier and Torrin flanked my sides, assisting me in taking down most of the creatures that were entering through the portal, while Ryelen was seeing to Destry.

Kazier sliced the wing off one while Torrin cut at its head, the blood spraying all over the place. I stepped back to take care of one demon who tried to slyly make his way to Destry and Ryelen.

“Azriel, go through, the rest of us will continue fighting them off” I heard Ryelen call.  He was right. My fallen brothers could take care of themselves. I took one last glance around me; they were fighting courageously and with vigour. Then I looked towards the dark abyss before me and whispered to myself. “I am coming Mira”.