Chapter 42 - Trials and Tribulations

I grabbed one sword that was kept in a sheath strapped to Kazier’s back and flew towards the front line of the assembled fallen, stabbing and striking at a few demons who tried to attack.

Azriel glanced at me from the corner of his eye. “Mira, stay back”. “Don’t tell me what to do, It’s not like I’m useless” I bit back and cut off a demon's head with my weapon. Thankfully Azriel didn’t say anything else to annoy me, although from time to time I could tell he was watching me intently.

I recalled every type of movement I had seen or been taught by Azriel and Zeir and practised it on the creatures that were coming my way. I then felt a presence behind me and turned to look over my shoulder.

Another two demons. I landed safely and turned on my side, fighting off both the demons that were before me and the ones that were behind me. One of them daringly scratched my shoulder and I yelped silently, my anger towards them reaching an all-time high.

I gripped the creature’s head in one hand and repeatedly stabbed into him. Suddenly I felt something poke at my ankles and noted that those little demons were the ones that belonged to Asmodeus.

They were trying to sting me through my boots. Little did they know, that their master’s poison had no longer an effect on me. I lifted my one foot and stomped at them aggressively, unknowingly giving all of them my attention.

I didn’t see the clawed beast come my way and I certainly didn’t expect him to claw into my shoulder and try to fly away with me. Luckily my grip on my weapon had not faltered and I began stabbing at the underbelly of the beast.

The beast did not let go, but Azriel did notice that I had been taken. He immediately flew into the air and started striking at the demon. Still, the demon was strong and he had me firmly in his clutches.

There was something different about these kinds of demons. They were much larger and stronger than the rest of the demons, who in comparison were a breeze to injure or kill. The creature didn’t seem to be affected by any of my stabbing and I wondered whether these creatures were solely Lucifers.

Then another damned creature of the same form and build came up behind Azriel. “Azriel, behind you!” I yelled and he turned just in time to injure the beast before he could carry him away from me.

The creature screeched in agony and flew down to the ground of the corridor. The one carrying me was determined to get me away and flew faster, his wings flapping violently with Azriel on his tail.

Then he suddenly released his grip and I fell down, not having enough time to outstretch my wings and fly away to safety. I slowly rose from the ground, my knees achy from landing and putting all my weight on it.

I looked up and saw Lucifer smiling at me. “Restrain her!” He yelled at the same time that Azriel landed near to me. He instantly made his way over to me, while Lucifer’s followers chain me up, my feet barely touching the rough floors of the room we were in.

“Let her go, Lucifer, now!” Azriel urged and glared at the demons who came to Azriel, in case he tried anything. “I am afraid I cannot do that. She owes me her blood” He answered with a wide smile while his demons gathered around me. One held a dagger uncomfortably close to my neck and I breathed shallow breaths, not wanting to cause any sudden movements against the cold metal weapon.

“You need her blood? Fine, have at it. But if you do not keep her sustained enough to keep her alive, I will kill you” Azriel warned him. Lucifer narrowed his eyes as if in thought and then he smiled reservedly. “I can keep her alive. If, and only if, you wish to strike a deal” Lucifer said proudly, just as the other fallen had entered the room.

“What is going on here?” I heard Kazier say when he looked between Azriel and I. I sighed heavily and shook my head slowly. Ryelen frowned at me and then looked to Azriel, examining his features. “Azriel, look at me, I know what you are thinking and let me tell it is not going to work. Do not make the mistake of making a deal with him!”.

Lucifer glanced at Azriel momentarily and then he nodded his head at the demons around me. I felt my skin being probed and cried at the burn, the creatures not even bothering to sterilize my skin first before forcefully inserting the needles. My eyes fluttered shut after the first four were in and draining me of my blood.

“No! Wait, Lucifer wait, please” Azriel pleaded and it made me feel unsettled. He shouldn’t have to beg, not for me. “Stay with me, Mira. I will get you out of this” I heard Azriel say and I opened my eyes to look at him. Then Azriel turned to Lucifer.

“There is something that you want, what is it?”. Lucifer’s eyes darkened, his lips curving in a smile and I knew whatever he was about to say was going to be absolutely horrible.

I watched as Azriel stared at Lucifer, waiting for him to lay it all on him. Ryelen slowly shook his head, looking completely disdained, as if he knew what was to come. “If you want your dearest Mira alive and well, then you and the rest of the fallen must join the demons of Hell”.