Chapter 41 - The Last Fight

Azriel stepped out of the room first and into the hallway with me shadowing him. I felt a hand grip my wrist and I immediately spun around with a fist ready to greet my attacker.

My movements ceased instantly when I saw a brown-haired boy smirking at me. “Damn baby, when did you get so hostile?” Kazier asked and a grin spread across my face. “Kaz!” I squealed and squeezed him in an affectionate hug.

“I see you have missed me too” He teased and squeezed back. Kazier was inches away from placing a small kiss on my forehead when I was ripped away from his arms by Azriel.

“There is no time for this, the guards will soon be here to check in on her, we need to move” He said firmly, pulling me along as he walked. We shortly came to a stop after a corner and met with Ryelen, Destry and Torrin.

“Mira, it is good to see you again”. I smiled briefly at Ryelen and then looked up at Azriel. “Where is Zeir and Clarren?”. “Zeir and Adaeon are both injured and in the care of Clarren, back at the cabin”. I nodded my head slowly. I wanted to ask how bad they were hurt and if they were going to be ok, when a demon came our way.

“Fallen filth! In the castle of my King?” The creature spat after sniffing the air and charged right towards us. Azriel protectively moved before me and withdrew his weapon from the scabbard attached to his left thigh.

The creature snarled at the glinting sword and unfurled his wings, circling in the air once before coming towards us. Both Azriel and Kazier aimed their weapons and tried stabbing at the demon.

But the demon dodged both of their attempts and flew past, screeching out loudly like a maniac. I raised my hands to cover my ears as the creature’s scream irritated my ears, my eyes narrowing at the ache.

Then suddenly the sound stopped and I removed my hands from my ears. I saw the beast lying on the ground, his bloody heart impaled on Ryelen’s sword. “If they did not know we were here, they certainly do now. Let us keep moving before they arrive”.  

We walked further down the lengthy dimly lit corridor, with Ryelen and Destry up front. I was in the middle, sandwiched between my loyal protectors; Kazier and Azriel.

We hurried along, hearing shouts and raised voices within the walls of the castle, knowing that Lucifer had sent his cronies after us. Ryelen led us down a narrower corridor, then we stopped abruptly when he raised his hand. He circled his fingers, signalling us to turn around.

But unfortunately, on the opposite end was Lucifer, waiting for us. “So nice of all of you to join us. I was expecting you here, fallen”. Azriel snorted loudly and was about to say something, but Lucifer continued his speech.

“Come along, Mira”. “No! I am not letting you anywhere near my Mira” Azriel shouted, his forearm shooting out to cross over my torso. Then he turned his head to face me. “Stay behind me” He whispered and looked back ahead, to where Lucifer was.

“She is not your Mira, Wrath, not since she found out you were the one who murdered her family”. “You know nothing of what you speak, do not dare interfere in my relationship with her!”.

“You are wasting my time. Hand her over, Wrath”. Azriel leant forward slightly, his teeth gritted together sharply. “Over my dead body”. Lucifer’s eyebrows raised as he looked from his demons to the fallen before him. “That can be arranged, with pleasure”.

And the next thing I knew Azriel was rushing towards Lucifer who had given his permission for his demons to attack. The rest of the fallen outstretched their wings, their weapons being drawn as they fought the oncoming demons.

I slowly and carefully spread my wings, marvelling at the foreign feeling. I didn’t have the luxury of time previously when I had taken my Nephilim form. But now I admired my wings.

They were unlike any of the fallen’s. Mine was golden in colour and shaped beautifully with elongated thick golden feathers. I flapped them once and then another few times, my feet lifting off of the floor. And then, I charged forward.