Chapter 47 - Epilogue

I ran through the dense forest, slicing at branches that dared to come into my path, and then, I jumped off a large boulder and into the sky, stretching my wings as my body took flight.

My right hand was tightly wrapped around the hilt of my sword. My left hand was inches away from grabbing onto the creature before me. Suddenly my target was destroyed before my eyes, the black reeking blood sputtering everywhere. I ducked away from the dead creature before it fell onto me and looked down at the ground.

With a wide smile on his beautiful face, Azriel waved at me and took a royal bow. “And that is five for me” He said, and continued to smile like an idiot. He only killed two more demons than me and I blamed his success on the decades of experience he had.

While I was in the air with the demon, he managed to steal my target away from me and I wanted to growl out in annoyance. Ever since his wings had been cut off, Azriel was forced to stay on ground, only ever reaching the sky if he was with one of us and needed to be flown away. Thankfully he still had his speed, which he used more often than before. 

The wound had taken some time to heal, now only a small bump of the bone was visible beneath his smooth skin. Initially I could see that losing his wings had taken a toll on him, but he refused to let that be his downfall. And he never wanted anyone’s pity for what he had lost. Neither could anyone tell him that he had become less of a warrior than he was before.

In fact, he was better now. More agile and more resolute and driven to succeed. This inspired me to fight harder and I made sure that every time we were outside and hunting the demons that had escaped Hell, I gave him a better challenge than he ould ever expect.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed two more demons coming my way and struck them down before Azriel could react and reach for his daggers to end them. “Now we’re even” I said and shadowed his bow while I was mid-air.

“Damn it” He commented and then he reached into his pocket for his phone. Then he looked up at me and smiled. “Ryelen wants us back. How is the view from up there?” He asked, but I knew exactly what his code meant.

“I suppose home it is. Race you back?” I told him and used my newly found speed to reach home. I landed just a second earlier than Azriel did, nearly falling over my own two feet in the process. If it wasn’t for Azriel’s fast reflexes, I would’ve hit my face on the wooden flooring.

“Careful. I told you last time to be more careful and aware of your surroundings when you land” He scolded and I rolled my eyes at him. “I know. At least its better than the last time” I reminded him and then I hear Kazier’s laughter coming towards us.

“Oh, that was priceless! I still do not know how she managed to catch herself from falling forwards, and then actually falling backwards!” He went on, laughing raucously as he held his stomach.

“Yeah, yeah, its not really a bid deal” Azriel muttered, feeling annoyed for my sake and placed a tiny kiss at my temple. I smiled coyly at him and then looked down at the ground.

Azriel and I still had many things to work through. I knew what he wanted from me, but I wasn’t entirely ready for a relationship with him. And he said that he had time to wait. Something about both of us being immortal or whatever.

Anyway, that didn’t mean that I didn’t get shy and nervous around him. “Do you know why Ryelen called us back?” Azriel asked Kazier. “Oh yeah, Jenziel is here”. “Father” I whispered, mostly to myself and then hurried inside the large modern house.

This was the second time I was seeing him. After we came through the portal, Jenziel was waiting for us outside the cabin in the woods. We had a lengthy conversation together. A few apologies and promises later, he ascended to heaven again.

It’s not like I missed him, but it’s not like I didn’t miss him either. Our relationship was already estranged, and I knew that he wouldn’t be allowed quite often on Earth to see me. So, I decided to accept things as they were and whenever he would visit, I would try my best to get to know him.

I walked inside Ryelen’s study with Azriel following closely behind. There stood my father, behind the huge oak desk with Ryelen at his side. “Mira” He said with a broad smile. I returned the smile and walked into his open arms.

“How have you been?”. “Good, great. And you?” I asked politely. Jenziel sighed before he spoke, glancing quickly at Ryelen. “I can surely say that I have seen better days”. “Why? What do you mean?” I asked, this time looking at Ryelen.

“Demon nests has been spotted” Came Ryelen’s response and I turned back to look at Azriel before turning front again. “In the forest? Azriel and I took care of some demons…”. “No, Mira. Demon nests. Various demon nests have been spotted in and around the city”. “I fear that Lucifer has decided to come for you again, my child” Jenziel said softly and placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

“He has had the year to prepare. Letting out these handful of demons for us to play with was just to keep us busy. We can expect another swarm coming for Mira” Azriel commented, his face stiff and focused. “Let them come, this time I am ready” I said with a smile. 

The End.