Chapter 1| Uncomfort Mixed Noodles

I don't know why it felt like this since I've heard Lucy saying those words. Those bitter words. I felt so damn bad for myself after hearing her. 

Shit!

Why did I even hear that?

It was feeling so damn weird now.

I tried to keep my gaze away from hers and looked outside in the corridor. A few boys were gossiping and sometimes smirking at me while they sipped their juices. 

Did they know it?

Did they know that-that I-I was feeling like this?

~*~

I heard Lucy muttering something to Elle and Kerry this morning during the break. I was sitting just behind them, so it was easy to hear their conversation.

"Shit! Something's probably up with Tristan!" she curled her lips as she leaned against the window and looked out.

"Seriously," started Kerry, "this guy's such a jerk! Even I saw him playing with Josie's braids, you know. I mean, it's-" she stopped as she looked at Elle's face and patted her back. Elle had turned emotionless—I knew she would, after all, she had that something, something thing with Tris once. She still has, maybe.

Sighing, she continued, "It's okay, Elle. You knew him, right? Please, it's okay." Elle closed her eyes in exhaustion as she nodded. 

Kerry's words continued ringing in my ears. I shoved a bunch of noodles into my mouth. Noodles mixed with bitter uncomfort and sour fear. They felt awfully tasty on my tongue. Yum.

 I felt so uncomfortable imagining Tristan and Josie holding their hands or him playing with her braids. Damn! They look so odd together—a short, stout Josie and a tall slim Tristan. Though both were fair, Josie with Tristan was like... Eh! No, not Josie. Elle could match him perfectly; she's skinny yet cute. 

But still, no, Tristan couldn't just like go on...go on chasing... girls! Eh, my mouth turned bitter on that thought!

God! Why was I even feeling like this? Tristan was just a friend who once fell for me, but we parted anyways. That wasn't even a fact. It was almost two years back, and many must have forgotten it. But still, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about him. I could suspect everything, yet nothing.

Tristan has something with Josie. Something he was ignoring or maybe hiding from everyone. Something I could half-guess.

~*~

Josie was washing her hands in the basin as I came near her. A feeling of disgust and annoyance filled me as she looked up at me and moved away to let me wash my hands.

"Hey!" she smiled.

"Hi." I faked a thin smile as I washed my hands.

I wanted to ask her everything Kerry had said a few minutes back. But I stopped, it might be silly to ask her such, yet again I moved towards her.

Thank god she didn't go away!

"Yes?" she asked, smiling as if she knew I'd come to her to ask her about that.

"Um, uh," I mumbled as I tried to form words. And suddenly, as if a lot of courage filled my heart, I grabbed her by her forearm and almost dragged her downstairs.

She was taken aback by my action. "What? What? Why are you-"

"Just listen, okay?" I interrupted her in a stern voice. 

Thousands of stares at me; I could hear the whispers and murmurs behind me. My brain was getting heated up with hundreds of anxious thoughts. The taste of noodles was still lingering on my tongue. My heart raced faster at the thought of asking Josie. 

I didn't want to create a scene now. So I almost shouted at the onlookers, "And y'all," I said as I brushed my hair back, "Wassup? Does this look like a housewives going on here? I guess no."

I could hear the smartass comments like bread crumbs around my sticky finger. At that very moment, Tristan came from behind me with a roll in his hand as he pinched his finger softly on Josie's cheek. He raised his eyebrow at me, "Hey, Flora. Everything okay?"

I faked a smile again as I replied, "Why not? More than okay nowadays!"

He pointed the chicken roll at me and asked with raised eyebrows, "Want some?" It's been a really long time since we shared food. The last time we did, we were in the fifth grade then.  

I rolled my eyes, "No, thanks."

I could see Josie looking past me. There was no sign of jealousy or disgust on her face. As calm as usual. I frowned. 

After Tristan went, I cleared my throat, "First things first, are you and Tris a thing?" 

Though initially surprised, she later smirked, "Jealous?"

I knew she'd ask that thing to me. I didn't hesitate, "In your dreams, Josie. I just want to know all of this–" I paused to find the crowd disappearing, before facing her again. The same I-don't-give-a-damn-about-anything calm Josie face, eh. "Tristan's friend, after all." I returned her the same smirk back.

"I see. We're friends as well! Like how you guys are. There's nothing new to know about!" She sounded annoyed; there was suddenly a rush of satisfaction through my nerves.

"I gotcha," I smirked again.

"No, you don't! Just because he played with my braids doesn't mean he's interested in me!"

Whoa! I didn't even say that, and she's already started complaining. Good goin', Flora. Yet, I felt uneasy; a lump formed in my throat. Not exactly a I-have-a-heavy-heart kind of uneasiness, rather a things-are-not-going-normal kind of vibe. My guesses were becoming true...

"I didn't say anything like that, did I?" I smiled.

"So? Hey, please stop! It's getting to nowhere now!" she winced, "Look Flora, if you're here to talk about Tristan, then whatever you're thinkin is wrong. There's nothing going on, seriously." She swallowed.

"Look," I chewed my lips, " I just don't want Tris get hurt, alright? Hell, you can go hug him, kiss him, even date him– I don't care!" The words slipped off like a bitter vomit; it felt like I was throwing up after having fifty shots of vodka. "Just don't end up hurting him."

She gave a sad smile; her eyes were a softer shade of graphite. "C'mon, it's not that serious."

I gave her a lopsided grin. Keep playing, girl.

She blushed, "What! There's nothing!" as she looked at my newly polished shoes.

To fix everything again, I knew this fakeness would soon become a part of my behavior. And I well knew, I could do that better. Thinking I understood her, Josie said, "I hope he gets to know all this." She was too confident.

"Soon!" I completed her sentence, grinning, as she ran upstairs. 

I gulped down my uncomfort mixed saliva and sighed. I don't know why jealousy replaced my friendship with a certain uneasiness and fear. Josie might ruin our sweet friendship and burn it into ashes. I couldn't let her do so, never! I seriously didn't want to lose him. Not after that night.

And I knew this would not end like that. Not so nicely when our friendship was at risk. But sometimes, all we need is that dash of strength to grip things tightly and hold them back 'til your palms bleed. Even though things have changed and we were no more a thing, I could still open with a pawn.

At least, there's a weak branch hanging low for me to break.