Chapter 9| Almost to be almost

*Hey, Flora! I was wondering if we can take up chess as an extracurricular*

I blinked once and then, twice. My hands didn't move. I re-read the message six times. Tris messaged me after such a long time. An overwhelming feeling replaced the weirdness in my mind. There was something fluttering about this message. Something warm and sweet, even though it meant nothing serious. I wanted a message from him so badly. I wished to rush to the bathroom and dance and scream as much as I could under the hot shower.

No Mum, no advice, no assignments, no care, no worries. Just me and the hot shower pouring down my body, slowly, tickling my bare arms.

After a few smiling minutes, reality struck me. Humans are happier when floating in the blue water of dreams. Reality's grit in their eyes-it stings hard.

Unsurety dried my throat. I didn't know what to write. But I was sure Tris would get hurt if I'd tell him that I wouldn't take chess. Honestly, I didn't even know how to play it.

I stared at the radiating screen for a few more excruciating seconds. Mum has gone away, the cold air has the window closed and light dim, a dog was barking outside, and I was all alone in this two-storeyed building, contemplating on 'yes' and 'no'.

Should I take chess for Tris, or take up music just for Mum?

I drank water. Ohh! It was too cold. It wasn't winter season yet.

Flora, breathe, slow. You're overreacting. This age's a witch you must fight against. Falling for guys means falling off the ladder you're climbing. Tris's message is just a medium for the witch to spell you.

Sighing, I finally typed and deleted, and retyped.

*Hi, Tris! Have you got any notifications from the school about this? We weren't told any such when our classes started*

I drank more water to ease my stress. The air was thick and cold. I stood to close the window when my phone buzzed. Mum.

"Hey," I kept the phone on the loudspeaker as I closed the window, "Did you miss anything?"

"No, Flora. Ugh, I'd be late returning home, okay? Don't be worried, baby. It'd take me a while to reach home. We've got an offer. I've to work on that. Love you, darling."

"Sure, good luck with that." I smiled. I could even talk to Tris if she wouldn't come.

"Oh, and your dinner's kept covered on the table. Microwave it before eating. Okay? Bye."

"Take care, Mum." I hung up the phone quickly before opening the messager again. As soon as I opened it, a new message came.

*Can we talk over the phone*

We surely could! Mum wasn't there, and I could easily talk to Tris. A perfect time to talk.

*Sure.* I typed back with a smiling emoji.

In a few minutes, his call came. His first call to me in all these years. Without thinking anymore, I accepted it.

"Hey," my voice shook in excitement.

"Hi," Tris's most awaited voice came. "Your Mum not there?" I knew he was teasing.

"No," I stifled a laugh as I said quietly, "Um, so what were you saying?"

"Would you like to take up chess? As extracurricular? We could play together and have fun." His voice was filled with hope that I could comprehend.

"Chess?" I was still unsure what to say.

"Yea? Hey, look I'm not forcing you. I thought we could just-"

"Tris, that's okay. I- I understand." Words choke down my throat.

"Flora, are you there?"

"Yea, I- I am." I drank more water.

"Yea," I knew he was waiting for an answer.

"I- I think Mum would disagree, you know. I had music as my extracurricular for the last two years, so-"

"That's okay, Flora. I thought you would choose chess. No problem. We can still talk."

"Hmm." We both remained silent for a while, thinking about what to say more. Honestly, we wanted the call to continue.

"I am doing my English assignment now," I spoke excitedly.

"Oh, me too!" His laugh echoed to my ears, "Same, same."

"How much's done?"

"Not almost, but like, almost to be almost!"

I laughed. "Okay, see you tomorrow!" I didn't know why I tried hanging up the call.

"Bye, Flora. I guess," he paused. "Tomorrow's going to be a big day." He quickly hung up the call before I could say anything more.

That was the first call that made me the happiest ever. Or maybe, it erased the stress I had been dealing with for so long. A gust of wind brushed the hair strands off my face.

I wondered what big would mean to Tris. The only thought that came to me was about Josie's birthday.

A/N: I'd appreciate a heart emoji if you've enjoyed this chapter ❤️