Chapter 2| Nothing's the same now

The sun was so heavy today. Our skins were burning in the sun's rage. I felt like dying here under this outrageous sun, so hell hot!

"Damn! I wish I could kill him!" Ada complained as we walked toward the playground. It was twelve, and we had our games classes at such a perfect time. Students have already started gathering at the ground. The rich green looked dazzling in the bright sun. A finch flew away towards the blue sky.

The games teacher, Mr. Gerard Booker, blew his red whistle, "Pupils, line up! Hurry! We're already running five minutes late. Yes, the boy with green spectacles, you, come in front. Hey, Ada, I think you're. Why are you talking?...." He went on shouting and waving his hands like a man who has escaped from an asylum in the burning sun.

I looked around to find Tristan and others. Lee was with some other guys. Elle was talking with Cole. Cool! Since when did she friend him? And yea, there comes Tristan!

Wait, with J-Josie?

I blinked my eyes in disbelief. My god! What? Tristan with Josie?

I looked in the front as Lucy pushed me and came in the front while muttering a string of curses to Mr. Booker.

After a couple of minutes, the boys and girls separated, and Mr. Booker allowed us to play tag. I kept a distance from them and stood, my back facing the sun.

Our PE teacher was new, so he wasn't quite used to our rules and regulations. Thus bunking boring games classes was easy.

A warm breeze brushed my hair off my face. I inhaled deeply. Wild green-yellow grasses covered the patches of land far away. I quite like this place, only this place, and nothing else. Cars ran crazily down the road, blowing black smoke; I couldn't hear them-they were so far away from our campus. A yellow butterfly came near my shoulder and went away.

Despite seeing Josie and Tristan together, I felt my heart fluttering in delight. I plucked a grass blade and started playing with it with my fingers when suddenly someone tapped my elbow.

I looked back and found Tristan smiling at me. My heart warmed seeing him. "Woah, Tristan." I looked around to ensure no one was watching us. "Aren't you playing or what?" I asked him.

"Nah! Boring Booker!" he rolled his eyes.

"Which is why you can stand here with me." He looked down at me. His face has changed a lot; his hair was dyed dark brown, his cheekbones more pronounced, and his eyebrows sharper. But something about his arctic eyes haven't changed. The same blue eyes held by the abyss of high tides and hope; a slight touch of maturity in them.

"So," he exhaled and continued, "How's everything going on now? I mean, your classes, friends, everything?" he asked without looking at me. He gazed at the distant yellow fields.

"Dang, it sucks." I laughed and so did he. "A packed up schedule nowadays. School, lessons, home tasks, my god! Help me!" I got excited speaking about my life, my hectic and half-hanging life.

He laughed again. "And friends? Lee? Isn't he there in your classes?" He looked at me after a long time.

I smiled, "Most of them." I didn't want to speak about friends. It somewhere feels lonely speaking about them. They're strange, too strange.

"That means you don't have any friends yet." he finally spoke up.

I didn't respond. I knew it was a vague attempt of his to pull my leg for not having any friends. Something I've a lifelong hatred at. Even though this conversation went to nowhere, this was my vague attempt to keep our friendship stable.

"What about you, Tristan? Oh, you have Josie, then um, that blonde girl." I was about to say 'chick' but guess, that didn't make Flora to others.