Chapter 7| Caring for people

We packed our bags and ran down the staircase as the school got dismissed. I waited at the main gate for Tristan.

He could at least bid me goodbye or something.

"Goodbye, Flora!" Rose grinned before leaving as Cole appeared from behind.

"Good-" I was about to say goodbye to him when he cut me off.

"Waiting for someone?" he moved closer to give space for others to leave.

"Not really," I hesitated. I doubted Cole. It was not about being good, but something else hit my brain not to say anything to him. My eyes were constantly moving to and forth across the ground floor. Everyone was coming down. Except for Tristan.

"Earth to, Flora." He snapped when I noticed Tristan coming. Nervousness set me in. There would be another storm if Cole started guessing things he shouldn't. Biting my lower lip, I smiled at him, "Goodbye, Cole," trying to sound casual.

I wanted to rush to Tristan in the first instance. But then, something changed my mind. I felt someone grab my forearm. I knew it was he. Opening my eyes, I found Lee grinning at me.

"You?" I was surprised. Tristan was chatting with someone else behind.

"I heard Mr. Jones wanting to talk to you." he lifted the corner of his mouth, "In a few days."

"Oh really?" I curved my eyebrows. Tris was right!

The thing's us.

"Yeah, I'm not sure though," he shrugged, "I just heard. Okay, goodbye."

I smiled in return.

"Oh yea, one more thing!"

Jesus! Why isn't he leaving? We can talk tomorrow as well. I need to go now!

"Yes?" I tried to be friendly.

"Bring your English notebook tomorrow. I need to write a few notes. I missed Mr. Jones's class."

"I always do. Goodbye!" I turned away, not expecting any more questions from Cole.

"Hey," I grabbed Tristan's forearm as he looked at me.

"Ready to get going?" he leaned towards me.

I grinned. "As always as I am."

~*~

"Wow, I'm pleased you have accompanied him, Flora." I heard Mr. Jones's gravelly voice as we stood in front of him. Mr. Stewart and Ms. Whiteley were sitting next to him. Whiteley's face was pale yet stiff; her eyes were dark. She seemed angry.

I took a deep breath. My heart was racing faster; my legs ached a little.

"So," Mr. Stewart stated, "What was the exact thing that happened today during the lunch break?" His eyes fell on Tristan, who was as calm as usual. Nothing seemed to bother him. God, I wish I could be like that too...

"Tris," I whispered, jerking his hand.

"I don't think I did the wrong thing."

"That was not the question, Tristan." Ms. Whiteley spoke up. Clenching her fingers, she leaned forward. "We want to know what exactly happened with you people." Her eyes pierced mine. I swallowed hard.

"Eric," he paused; he was tired, "Um, Eric uttered inappropriate words to Flora about us."

"Yeah, I understand. But was there any need to beat him? You could not have done that." Ms. Whiteley looked at me sharply.

"Why's she here?" I heard her whispering to Mr. Jones. He signaled her to wait.

"Yes, continue." Mr. Jones said. "Oh, wait, Tristan, just a second. Flora, do you have any say in this? I mean-"

"I do," I bite the inside of my cheek, "it's all about Eric, you know. And I must add here that Eric uttered things he must not. I don't think he needs to worry about who I should stand and talk with, or any such. To be more precise, he openly stated that we were romancing and-"

"Shut up, Flora!" Eric's voice echoed in the empty room as we turned back. He closed the door and came nearer.

"Eric!" Ms. Whiteley glared at her. "Stand at the corner, go!" Her loud voice boomed.

He stood there still. "Go, stand there!" She shouted more loudly.

"Yes, please continue." Her gaze softened.

"We asked him to stop talking and go away, but he was too much to hear and went on speaking rubbish. The last thing he did was to say that I was going to make out with Tristan," I paused a little. This time, I wanted to refer to him as "Josie's crush". Something in me ignited hard, "He even called Tristan Josie's crush, and Tristan couldn't control himself anymore, and that led to all such." Ms. Whiteley looked away in annoyance. I sighed as I stared out the window. Students were going back to their homes.

"Tristan," Stewart finally spoke up, "Was the fight for calling you Josie's crush or for 'something else?' Because that was totally stupid." He raised his eyebrows. I knew what he meant by "something else" yet I prayed for Tristan not to say anything I was guessing.

"Both," Tris lifted the corner of his mouth, "I care for people who care for me." His blue eyes landed on mine. Stewart smiled and looked at Mr. Jones before going into some discussions.

"Are you getting mad?" I whispered through my teeth.

"No," his voice was lower than a whisper, "it's true."

My heart slowed in relief. Eric was glaring at us. I heard the teachers murmuring something to themselves. Maybe of punishing Eric or of us. 

I care for people who care for me. 

His words rang in my ears, echoing through my brain, pouring happiness into each nerve of my body. I looked up at him. His eyes were no longer dark, no longer red in anger. But soft, as soft as the way he thought for me, cared for me.