Chapter 19| Jigsaw puzzle

Warning: Use of mild offensive words; I tried to lessen their use as much as possible—but sometimes, the situation demands. Enjoy! P.S.- This is the flashback's second (and last) part.

I had moved away quickly, faster than ever before. Jumping back, I turned to the familiar voice and held my breath. The warmth has now been replaced by cold nervousness and fear. My chest tightened, and my heart raced like a motorjet: Don't do anything stupid. And I knew this was the most dangerously idiotic act I had ever done. A hurricane was going on inside my heart, a deadly one. I licked and bit my lips; Tristan's sweet and fruity taste still lingered on them. Lee stood opposite, his gaze laced with shock and disappointment. I tried to speak, but no words came out. Besides, what could I possibly say? Lee, I kissed Tristan because I had wanted to do this for so long. That'd be silly. I glanced at Tristan; he was surely regretting the kiss. My heart pounded even faster as Lee advanced toward us. I dig my nails into my sweaty palms. The atmosphere was thick as fog, and the silence ticked on.

"Lee," I suddenly found my words, "I- I can explain-"

"You promised." His rough voice was laced with disappointment. Blood roared in my ears. I knew he didn't expect me to do so. Flora and "kissing guys" didn't match together, but they did anyway. I knew I promised not to do anything stupid. And I broke it like a glass vase, but I did save the flowers in it. But Lee was different. He was not Cole. To him, the vase cost more than the flowers. Deep down, my conscience told me I was right—vaguely right. No matter what would happen now or whoever would spit at me, they couldn't change this one fact: I wanted to provide Tristan solace, and he had found his home.

Lee shook his head in disappointment. I blink back the tears that were burning my eyes. My brain was hollow, and I looked up at Tristan and then back at Lee.

"Lee—" I reached out for his hand, but he yanked.

"Dare not," His voice was colder than the weather. A shiver ran down my spine. My eyes blurred; I knew I was about to cry out.

"Lee," Tristan finally spoke up; his voice was crooked and uneven. His lips were swollen from kissing—a slight shade of red. "We owe you an explanation. We really do." And his words somehow gave me the courage to speak up again, "Lee, please, at least hear from us once, will you?" I pleaded. His eyes shifted from me to Tris and then again to me.

"I just..." He let out a sarcastic laugh which clearly showed his disappointment and how much I made him upset today, "I don't know—" His voice broke as he sighed. I could feel my feet shivering; I was feeling nauseous. 

"Lee, look, it's not what you think..." I stepped closer. I noticed Tristan furrowing his eyebrows in annoyance. My heartbeat was still faster than a polo horse. My ears were hell hot, and I could feel beads of sweat on my forehead in such chilly weather.

"In front of Jane, then." He sighed. The world felt like stopping for a while, and the what-ifs started. I could feel the hairs on my arms rising and my heart thumping faster. The whole thing would be a dirty mess if Jane ever came to know about this. It's not like I'd turn from a "pretended" good girl to a "bad" girl. I could feel my nerves tying knots in my stomach and swaying the butterflies that were there a few minutes ago away. I felt a great urge to run to my house, jump into Mum's arms, cry loudly, and spill the truth. God forbid if she could have ever come to know about this...

I looked away at the lights of the faraway building. My mind tried to process everything that happened a few seconds ago and what things were like before it happened. Everything suddenly blurred—me coming, hugging Jane, Lee, our promise, Tristan, salty kisses, and then me breaking the little glassy promise. It felt like a puzzle—a jigsaw puzzle in a red blur. And I hated that the most. Jigsaw puzzles always baffle you, your mind, and everything about and with you.