Chapter Four

Brea

The moment I step inside the hotel room, it's like everything evaporates from my body, as if I had been running on adrenaline for the last hour. I collapse onto the end of the bed, struggling to draw in a breath.

It's small and old, exactly like what—I realise I don't even know his name—said. But also like he said, it has everything I need. Tears burn my eyes and I let them fall down my cheeks, sagging into the hard, lumpy mattress.

Everything that has happened in the last few days has finally caught up with me. Eventually, I peel myself from the bed to shower. After a minute, the water runs cold, and I step out if the cubicle shivering. The cold tiles feel harsh on my bare feet as I hastily towel myself dry.

My apartment in the city may have been small but it was ultra-modern, nothing like this. Exhaling, I lean heavily onto the sink and stare at my reflection. The shower helped reduce my puffy eyes, but I still look exhausted.

I tap my screen and go into the last message my brother sent me, telling me to come by the house any time after four. I spend the next thirty minutes getting ready. I dress in skinny jeans, converse, and a sleeveless top. It still screams 'out of towner', but it's the most casual outfit I have packed.

I head out the door, desperate to escape the musky room. I've never been good at dealing with my feelings, so sitting inside the room alone felt like a weight crushing onto my chest. I need to get out and breathe fresh air, even if the air here is laced with dust.

One of the perks of visiting a small town, I'm able to walk most places. A few rust-spotted trucks cruise by me and heads swivel in my direction, probably wondering who I am.

I'm surprised that I remember most of the shops on the main street. They haven't changed all this time. It's so different here. Calm, quiet. Familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

My heart clenches inside my chest when I stop in front of a faded, pastel pink sign. I didn't mean to end up here but subconsciously I was drawn to it like a magnet.

JMNB Florist

Swallowing, I blink up at it, shocked that it's been a decade since my mother and I were here and our family's shop is still named this. I have no idea who would be running the show now.

Stepping inside, I peer around. A few things have changed with the layout, but it's mostly the same. I would spend days here, watching and helping my mother create stunning flower arrangements. It was always my dream to take over from her.

"Won't be a moment!" a voice calls from the back.

I run my hand over a lilac petal, loving the feel of the velvety texture under my fingertips. Snippets of memories flash through my mind of me running down the aisles, standing up on a stool so I could see over the counter, answering the phone and acting as though I was an adult.

There's a loud groan as the back door opens and a woman appears. She brushes her hair back from her face and gives me a warm smile. Then she stops, staring openly at me.

"Oh good Heavens," she whispers.

"Hi, Tris," I smile. Tris worked casually for my mum, so it makes sense she is the one running the place now. "You remember me?"

"You look so much like you mother," she smiles.

"How've you been?"

"Oh," she waves off my question. "Getting old sucks. How are you? You're back? And your mother?"