Chapter Nine

Zander

The pit in my stomach doesn't leave for the rest of the afternoon.

I decline staying for dinner at my sister's when I drop Mila off. I'm sitting on my back veranda, watching the sun slowly sink into the horizon, feeling like a total asshole. Diesel rests his head on my knee, as if sensing something is off. His dark eyes stare up at me as I finish my beer and reach for another.

There's nothing more I want right now then to go on a date with Breanna Lancaster. I've been unable to think of anything else since we collided, but I can't ignore the big problem that hangs over our head—Nathan. I can't stand the sight of him, let alone being involved with anyone of his family. Even if they haven't spoken much over the years, it'll change now that she's back.

Why is she back? After all this time? Why did they ever leave? These questions have been circling around my mind for the past few days. I don't want to care—I'm never one to care—but this girl has gotten under my skin for some reason. I want to know everything about her.

I think about her sitting alone, glancing at the door every time someone walked in, waiting for me, watching the time slowly tick past. I think about the expression of hurt when I rejected her invitation of a second date. I might not have been directly looking at her, but I could feel the sting of my words splashed across her face as clearly as watching a film in the cinemas.

The alcohol slides down my throat easily enough that half the drink is gone in my first gulp.

My phone vibrates against my leg, and I grimace when I recognise work's phone number.

"Hello?"

"Hi boss," Cassie's voice greets me. "Sorry to call but Diana hasn't turned up for her shift again and I have to get home, I have a zoom meeting for class at seven."

Pinching the skin between my eyes, I try not to let the frustration I'm feeling show in my voice.

"All right. Be there in a minute."

"Thanks Boss. Sorry to do this to you."

Grumbling under my breath, I kick my feet into my boots and head down to the bar. Being there is the last thing I feel like doing right now.

Cassie sends me a tight-lip smile when she sees me.

"We need more staff," she says, hanging up her ID tag. "The next time someone asks me about a job, I'm hiring them myself."

"Fine," I say. "I trust your judgement."

She touches my arm softly. "You look tired."

"I am tired."

"I can come back after my meeting."

I wave her off. "Don't worry about it. I'm fine."

"Okay," she says. Gathering her things she makes a quick exit, considering it is ten to seven now.

Walking behind the bar, I try not to look as miserable as I feel.

Another day in paradise.