Chapter Thirty-Two

Zander

"Is it weird to admit I missed you?"

I glance over at Cassie, and a ghost of a smile flickers on my face. "No, but don't ever say it again. We don't do that."

She breathes a laugh. Dressed in unintentional ripped jeans, and the uniform shirt, she looks relaxed, and happy. It's nice to see her not so stressed out. She takes on way too much.

"Got it."

"Thank you for looking after everything. It all looks great." I spin, surveying the main area. "You re-organised the tables."

"Yeah. Hope that's okay. It is better use of the space," she says, dragging the cloth across the top of the bar.

It's not a major difference, but I must admit it does look better. I can't remember the last time I made any changes to the layout.

"Sure. Looks good."

"So, you had a good trip?" she asks, once she has finished serving one of the only three customers in here.

"Yeah. It was good. The city is definitely not my style though."

She grins. "I didn't think it would be."

"Way too busy, and loud."

"Agreed."

"Was the wedding super luxurious?" she questions.

"It was pretty lavish," I admit.

My phone vibrating pulls my attention, and I pull it out of my pocket. A number I don't recognise flashes across my screen. It has the Glendale area code, so it must be someone from here. I frown at it. Every person who contacts me is saved on my phone.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hi, is this Zander?"

"Speaking."

"It's Miranda, I work at Glendale Hospital. Your sister has you down as her emergency contact."

I straighten my spine, my stomach bottoming out. "Is she okay?"

"She has been involved in an accident. Her injuries are not serious fortunately, she is resting right now. Your niece on the other hand..." her words trail off. "I think you should get here as soon as you can."

My heart is rattling with chest-wracking panic as I sprint out the door, leaving a wide-eyed Cassie blinking after me. I reach the hospital in record time, racing through the doors. A nurse notices me, and walks over, holding her hands like she's worried I'm a bomb that may detonate any second.

"Zander, I need you to stay calm."

"Where is she?" I demand. "What has happened?"

"Your sister and niece were involved in a car accident," she responds, and dread slithers through my veins.

"Mila is being flown by helicopter to St Charles hospital. Her condition is critical." Her voice is calm and even.

How can she be calm when she is delivering that kind of update?

My heartbeat bangs inside my ears, getting louder and more dizzying. Terror seizes my stomach in an iron fist, making me feel like I might empty my stomach right here on the floor.

"Where's my sister?" I choke out, throat and mouth suddenly paper dry, making it hard to speak, and swallow.

"I'll take you to her," she says gently. "But... Zander..."

I stop, turning to face her, staring down at her, finding it impossible to process the fact that she has further bad news. I can't handle any more bad news.

"It appears your partner is also involved. In the accident."

Thud, thud, thud.

My heart hammers. I

blink at her, trying to understand.

"Brea?" I whisper, my voice not sounding anything like it usually does.

The woman nods. "Brea was driving the other car."

"Oh my God," I exhale, reaching out, groping the wall for support. "Is she okay?"

"I will try to get you an update on her condition as soon as possible," she says gently. "As you have authority in this situation, it is essential I tell you..." she pauses, face and shoulders looking equally tense. "I need to know if you want to press charges. On Breanna Lancaster."

"You're asking me if I want to press charges on my girlfriend?" I splutter.

The nurse nods. "An officer will be here shortly to take a statement." Another pause. "Brea is over the blood alcohol limit, Zander. She was not sober when she got behind the wheel."

There's a ringing in my ears before everything goes black.

END OF PART ONE