tryout ready

"this has to be some sort of cruel joke." scarlett huffed, sitting at her lunch table. morgan, aspen, and abbie already sat there. their friend anna, who bounced between them and her other friends, sat down with them. everyone looked over to scarlett with a confused look.

"what has to be a cruel joke?" abbie asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"every class that i don't have with you guys, fucking nancy's there." scarlett rolled her eyes as everyone made a face.

"that sucks for you."

"morgan," abbie gave her a look before turning back to scarlett. "maybe try to have a civil conversation with her. you never know where it'll get you."

"i do," scarlett shrugged and continued when she said abbie raise an eyebrow. "suspended, or expelled. really it depends on how long it takes for someone to pull me off and how much damage gets done."

aspen laughed with morgan and anna while abbie's eyes widened. "no! we do not fight with people because we feel like it." she shook her head quickly.

"yeah, we." aspen muttered sarcastically and scarlett laughed. "besides, nancy's just like mindy. i've never seen sisters who act so much alike. she's a bitch, you know that. it doesn't matter."

"are you ready for cheer?" anna turned to scarlett excitedly. she was picking the fruit on her tray and she sighed at the mention of it.

she honestly was pretty ready. just kind of nervous. this whole thing wasn't that big of a deal to her. she didn't care if she was captain of the cheer team or not, that's stupid shit. the only reason she even joined in the first place was to mess with people on the team with morgan. then, she met anna and she joined in on messing with the teams biggest bitches.

what she didn't expect to happen was the coach actually liking her. she became the coach's favorite within a week and voting for captain was suddenly cancelled. nancy was like obviously pissed, she had everyone practically convinced on voting her after-all. but when their coach—nicole, came in saying she found her new captain, nancy was beyond livid.

can you take a guess who that captain was?

scarlett.

she was captain their sophomore year before they moved up to varsity their junior year. now that it's their senior year, they get one last chance to be captain.

and nancy was not letting scarlett get in the way. literally. nancy held a whole campaign a few days ago. only her two friends and some of the boys who like her actually stopped by. most of the people on the team were already set on voting scarlett.

the only reason scarlett wants to get this spot is so she can rub it in nancy's stupid blonde face. and that's what she's going to do.

"well, after these next two periods we gotta meet in the gym to get started. i'll see you guys then." anna smiled excitedly before practically skipping away.

"great." scarlett muttered sarcastically.

"you'll be fine, scar." aspen rolled her eyes at her friends behavior. "that bitch is gonna get what she deserves."

-

"scarlett, how are you?" nicole came and smiled at scarlett. she was always so nice to her. she liked having special bonds with her coaches, it made her feel like she was a better team player.

"i'm good, how're you?" scarlett smiled back, slipping on her old cheer shoes and adjusting her uniform. they made everyone get dressed up to look more professional.

"good, good. i was just coming over here to ask you if you'd be willing to be in charge of tryouts?" nicole's smiles grew even wider and scarlett had almost a spark of hope. she just wished nancy was around to hear their conversation.

"oh, yeah, of course. what exactly do i have to do?" she stood up and took the paper that was being held out in front of her.

"all you have to do is teach them your old tryout dance and three cheers. that shouldn't be a problem, right?"

"no, not at all."

"great! and will you make sure they all know how to do jumps? they'll have to jump during the actual tryouts."

"sure."

"prefect, thank you so much! and if you need any help i'd suggest asking morgan or anna—or both, i trust you guys. i'll be in my office the whole time, i just need to get things for the season pre ordered." nicole grinned before walking back into her office.

"that looked good." morgan ran towards scarlett with anna next to her. they were also in their uniforms and looked ready to go. by now, the team seemed to be piling in.

"she asked me to be in charge of tryouts." scarlett said blankly while morgan and anna smiled in excitement. "like, teach them everything."

"that's great!"

"no way!"

"she also said to ask you guys to help me if i needed help because she—quote—trusts us." scarlett laughed a little before pushing her bag aside and walking in front of everyone.

"that's definitely a good sign." morgan smiled excitedly with anna while scarlett cleared her throat.

once it looked like everyone who was coming was all sat down scarlett walked over. the team sat in a circle, further away from everyone trying out. the people who were trying out sat in their friend groups, talking and some stretching.

"hi, everyone, i'm scarlett anderson. i joined the team my sophomore year and became captain not long after. as of right now, i am on the varsity team and i'll be holding your three day tryout process." scarlett smiled at all of the nervous girls in front of her.

"uh, what'd you think you're doing?" nancy gave her a dirty look. her two friends—though aspen liked to call them minions, whispered to each other.

"talking. be quiet please." scarlett smiled as nicely as she could before turning back to the new, smiling faces.

"so first, i'll be explaining what we'll be doing during these three days. if you have any questions feel free to ask me. you can also go to morgan and anna who are right behind me," she gestured to the two girls behind her.

"these next three days you'll be learning a dance. i had to learn this dance as well as everyone as everyone else on the team. we'll be teaching you three cheers, and you'll be practicing jumps." she stopped and waited to see if anyone had questions. they didn't—besides nancy's rude interrupting, which she ignored.

she continued, "the day of tryouts will be this friday, so in four days. three judges will be coming in from outside of the area—just so there's no chances of someone knowing a judge. you'll preform the dance for them, the three cheers, and you'll have do the two jumps." she stopped and checked to see if anyone had any questions.

one girl spoke up, "uh, how many spots are there on each team?"

"15 on the j.v team, eight on varsity."

another, "do you guys have captains picked out yet?"

"nope. voting will happen right after tryouts actually."

another, "do we get to vote as well?"

"yes, you'll get to vote if you make the team. freshmen and sophomores will vote for your j.v captains and juniors seniors will vote for your varsity captains."

and another, "would any of us be able to get voted?"

"unfortunately, you have to have a year of experience on the team in order to be captain unless coach states otherwise. that why sophomores become captains and so do seniors."

"is that all?" scarlett asked looking at everyone who just nodded.

"actually, no-" nancy said loudly.

"okay, great, then. let's get started." scarlett smiled waving everyone over to stretch.