Chapter 1

At night in Portorosso,

The streets were empty. The shops were closed and dark from the inside. Soon there was a cold breeze running into the town. Moving a swing from the park and then reaching house to house.

It came across an open window, and the cold breeze went inside. On the walls were photos of a father and son, letters, and a photo of the three friends at graduation.

Digging deeper into the room were also drawings, posters of a Vespa, and fishing supplies.

Seventeen-year-old, Alberto, was in a deep dream. He started to turn around back and forth and shivering as he said, "Dad?"

In Alberto's dream,

Alberto was standing on the island. There was a figure of a man packing his stuff.

Alberto got closer and said, "Dad? Is that you?"

Bruno said, "Hello, Alberto, it's been a while."

Alberto had tears and ran to hug him. He said, "I knew you would come back for me. That you didn't abandon and still cared about me."

Bruno moves Alberto's hands away.

Alberto said, "Dad?"

Bruno said, "I'll be real with you ... I found someone else. I am now married and with kids of my own. Imagine how embarrassing would it be to confess that I have an older son."

Alberto said, "What? But I thought-"

Bruno said, "Don't get me wrong. I truly loved your mother, and she was my first love. However, you remind me of her, and I don't need that. I want to move on and start my life again with my new family."

Alberto got mad and said, "Fine! I don't need you anyway!"

Bruno grabbed his stuff and said, "Goodbye, Alberto." He got in a boat and rowed away.

Alberto saw him as his father and his boats disappeared. He realized he was alone again. Alberto knelt as he started crying.

Alberto then heard a voice that said, "Alberto? Alberto, wake up. Alberto."

Back to reality,

Massimo was there and said, "Son, wake up."

Alberto woke up. His eyes were red, and his cheeks were wet.

Massimo said, "Son, are you okay? I heard you yelling, and when I came here, tears were dropping from your face."

Alberto hugged Massimo and said, "Do you think my real dad doesn't love me anymore? That I'm an unwanted child to him?"

Massimo said, "What!? No, you're the best son any father could ever ask. I don't know why your father left you, but now you have me, your sister Giulia, your friend Luca and the townspeople. We all love and appreciate you. Don't ever think that you're a disappointment or an unwanted child. I'm proud of the young man you've become, and I am glad to call you my son."

Alberto had tears of joy and said, "Thanks Massimo, you're the best dad ever."

Massimo hugged back and said, "You're welcome, son."

Alberto smiled.

Massimo said, "Now, go back to sleep. You don't want to be tired tomorrow."

Alberto said, "Right, my 18th birthday. What's the use of celebrating it when Giulia and Luca had just started their college semester?"

Massimo said, "Life is full of surprises."

Alberto was confused and said, "Okay, dad. Well, good night."

Massimo said, "Goodnight, son." He turned off the lights and left Alberto's room.

Machiavelli hopped into Alberto's bed and laid down.

Alberto said, "Hey buddy, glad you came. I'd love some company."

Machiavelli snuggles with Alberto. Alberto smiled as he petted Machiavelli. Soon Machiavelli fell asleep, and Alberto stayed awake thinking.

He thought, "What would be the real reason for my father to abandon me? Guess I'll never know."