Chapter 2

In Genova,

Giulia was preparing some sandwiches and snacks for the trip. Maria helped her and said, "I still don't understand why you two want to leave now. What if something bad happens to you two?"

Giulia said, "Alberto doesn't know we will be there for his birthday this year, and Luca planned the birthday party for months. He won't change his mind."

Maria said, "I mean, it is so nice of him. I'm just worried, it's so late, and more dangerous things can happen."

Giulia said, "We will be okay, mom. I'll call you when we get there."

Maria said, "You promise?"

Giulia said, "I promise."

Maria smiled, and both packed the lunches and beverages.

Luca was in his room, finishing packing and wrapping Alberto's gift. He reached for the scissors and the tape. The photo frame accidentally fell. Luca picked it up and saw the photo of him and Alberto. Luca smiled and said, "I can't wait to see you tomorrow, buddy. I hope you like the surprise I'm planning for you."

He smiled.

Giulia said, "Luca! Are you almost ready? We still need to make it to the train station."

Luca said, "I'm coming." He packed Alberto's first inside his backpack. He was about to leave but then looked at the photo. He thought for a second and decided to pack it too.

Giulia said, "Luca, finally, we need to get going. Do you have everything?"

Luca said, "Yes. I even packed extra clothes just in case and some of my books."

Giulia said, "Okay. Well, we'll be back in three days, mom."

Maria said, "Make sure to call me when you get there, and give Alberto a birthday hug from me, okay?"

Giulia said, "I will, mom." They shared a hug. Luca said, "We'll let's get going. The train will be here any minute."

Maria dropped them off at the train station. She gave them one more hug, and they got on the train.

Giulia said, "It will be a long night, but it will be worth it."

Luca said, "Yeah. You can go ahead and rest. I'll let you know when we get there."

Giulia said, "Are you sure?"

Luca said, "Yes." Giulia rested her head on Luca's shoulder and said, "Goodnight, Luca."

Luca said, "Good night, Giulia." He looked out the window to the road as the train started to move. Luca saw the shining full moon and said, "Good night, Alberto."