Chapter 3

In the morning at Portorosso, Alberto's alarm went off. He sits up and stretches. Massimo walked in with Machiavelli. He was holding a plate of pancakes with a candle and an expresso.

Massimo said, "Good morning, birthday boy."

Alberto said, "Good morning, dad." Machiavelli snuggles with Alberto, and Alberto smiles as he pets him. Massimo placed the food and coffee aside and hugged Alberto. Alberto hugs back.

Massimo said, "Happy Birthday, son. You don't have to go to work today if you don't want to."

Alberto said, "Are you kidding? Of course, I'll go to work."

Massimo said, "And that's why I'm so proud of you. Enjoy your breakfast. I'll be at the Peschiera if you need anything."

Alberto said, "Okay, dad."

Alberto ate breakfast and got ready for work. Massimo left the deliveries for Alberto and the list. Alberto grabbed the list and hopped into his bicycle.

He started going from house to house around town. The people there greeted and waved at him. Alberto greeted them as he continued to the next delivery.

Suddenly a ball landed in front of Alberto's bicycle. Alberto stopped and saw the kids playing.

A boy said, "Hey Alberto, wanna play with us?"

Alberto said, "I would love to, but I'm working."

A girl said, "Come on, just for a few minutes. The deliveries can wait. Please?"

The other kids said, "Please???."

Alberto grabbed the ball and said, "Okay, fine. Let's do this."

They played for around thirty minutes. Alberto scored his second goal. He said, "Yes! I won again."

The boy said, "We just let you win because it's your birthday."

Alberto said, "If that's so, let's play another round tomorrow."

The boy said, "Okay, see you tomorrow."

Alberto looked at his watch and said, "Oh my God, I'm late. Well, kids, I had fun playing with you all, but I have to go now. See y'all."

He left at the last delivery address. The kids said, "Bye, Alberto."

The woman was there waiting. Alberto arrived and said. "Ma'am, I'm so sorry for the delay."

The woman said, "It's okay, Alberto. I forgive you only because it's your birthday. So any plans of celebrating it?"

Alberto said, "No, probably just going to be my dad and me again, oh and Machiavelli. My dad bakes a cake for me, and we have a small celebration."

The woman said, "I see. Well, I hope you enjoy your day, and here, this is for you." She handed him extra money.

Alberto said, "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't accept it."

The woman said, "Take it. It's your birthday gift from me. You'll need money to take a girl out."

Alberto said, "Oh, I'm not interested in that yet."

The woman said, "There has to be someone you feel attracted to."

Alberto blushed as he thought of someone and said, "Yeah..."

The woman said, "Keep the money. You'll need it someday, and by the way, Happy Birthday."

Alberto said, "Thank you."

The woman went inside. Alberto went to drop off the bicycle at the Peschiera and then headed home.