c h a p t e r e i g h t

I wait in the living room for Tyler to get back, flipping on the light as he walks inside. He jumps, grabbing his chest in surprise before he realizes that it's me.

"God, Stella, you scared the shit out of me."

I don't say anything, moving to sit on the couch. Once I get there I cross my legs and stare expectantly at him. He sighs, pulling at his tie.

"Look, I already got a lecture from Caroline."

"Oh, did you snap her neck too?" I ask. "Leave her laying on the floor of one of the other guest bedrooms?"

"I didn't have time to get you both out."

"So you chose her?"

"I knew that Klaus wouldn't hurt you."

I scoff, standing up and moving in front of him.

"Congratulations, you were right. Klaus didn't hurt me. That was all you. Did you like having your neck snapped the first time? Cause personally, I wasn't exactly in the mood to relive that experience!"

"Stella, I know you're angry," he says, putting his hands up and backing away from me.

"I'm not angry, Ty. I'm pissed. You snapped my neck and left me on the fucking ground! Want to know what that's like?"

His protests are cut off as I rush forward, reaching up to grab his head and twisting hard. His neck makes a horrifying crack and he falls to the ground, landing sprawled on the hardwood beneath me. I stand over his limp body, satisfaction at seeing him like this coursing through me for a few seconds before beginning to fade away. I breathe heavily as the majority of my anger dissipates, allowing me to realize what I just did.  

I sigh and rub my tired eyes, guilt already coursing through me. I reach down and grab one if his arms to haul him into a nearby chair. As I pull, I wonder how he could do this to me and then just leave me on the ground. I can't bear to see him like that. No matter how angry at him I am, he's still my brother. 

Once I get him settled I sit back on the couch to wait for him to wake up. He does so about an hour later, reaching up to grasp at his neck and letting out a groan.

"Was that really necessary?" he asks, shooting me a glare.

"Probably not. At least now we're even."

"Does that make you feel better? That I've had my neck snapped as many times as you?"

"No Tyler, it doesn't!" I shout, my anger taking us both by surprise. "It doesn't make me feel better! Who even are you? You said that you were going to try. You said that you were going to make sure that I didn't lose my brother!"

"Stella, I'm right here."

"No you're not! You snapped my neck and left me on the fucking floor, Tyler!

"You're a hybrid now. I think you're fine."

I throw my hands into the air in frustration, a humorless laugh escaping my lips.

"I can't believe you. I seriously can not believe you. You really don't see it, do you?"

"See what?" he yells. "See that all of you are turning against me just because I'm paying back my debt to Klaus? I'm not his minion, I'm just trying to thank him for saving me."

"I can't have this fight anymore, Ty," I say quietly, running my hand across my face. A wave of total and utter exhaustion washes over me, the kind of tired that seems to seep into your bones. I stand and slowly begin to make my way out of the room but Tyler grabs my arm as I walk by.