c h a p t e r f o r t y e i g h t

"Stamp please," Caroline asks in a peppy voice as she holds out her hand towards Elena. The brunette rolls her eyes but rips off a small sticker to place in her hand. "Thank you!"

Warm afternoon sun beats down on the three of us as we sit at a table outside The Grill. Graduation is quickly approaching so Caroline and I are working on getting our announcements out as quickly as possible. We decided to bring Elena along but it doesn't seem like she's particularly interested in sending out letters that are essentially to ask the people you know for money.

"It's it a little late for this?" I ask as I seal my most recent envelope and flip it over to write the address of some relative I haven't seen in at least ten years. "Graduation is literally tomorrow."

"Well, with everything going on we've all been a little busy," Caroline responds in a careful voice. "Besides, as long as they're not actually coming to graduation, it doesn't matter when they get the notice."

"I guess. I just think all of this is unnecessary."

"It is," Elena finally chimes in. "I don't even know why I'm here."

"Because!" Caroline says. "We want you here."

"You don't have to be nice to me. I know this is just a ploy to keep me distracted."

She's not wrong. Ever since she flipped her switch back, the only thing Elena has cared about is finding Katherine and killing her. It's like she's obsessed.

Normally I wouldn't mind someone wanting to get rid of Katherine, something I've wanted to do for a long time myself, but it doesn't feel right that Elena has just replaced her lack of any emotion with the ability to only feel rage. She still hasn't worked through any of her grief.

Caroline and I keep working on our cards as Elena places the cap back on her pen and sets it on the table.

"You're done?" Caroline asks her. "I'm only on my second batch."

"We have family friends in Denver," Elena says, picking up the card so we can see it. "Other than that, no one cares that I'm graduating. And do be honest, neither do I."

Caroline and I exchange sympathetic looks before we look back at out friend.

"You know, that's how you feel now but once you get through this hating Katherine phase-"

"Wait," Elena interrupts the blonde. "Do you know where Katherine is?"

"No."

"Do you?" She asks me.

"Why would I know where Katherine is?"

"Yeah, but Stella, if you did, you would tell me right?"

"Honestly? Probably not-"

I'm interrupted as Elena grabs onto my arm that's sitting on the table. Her grip is tight and her eyes are fiery as they meet mine.

"If you know where Katherine is then you have to tell me."

"Elena!" Caroline says in a hushed voice. "You're obsessing."

"Actually, I don't have to do anything," I say, ripping my arm away from her grasp. "Fuck. You really need to relax."

"I can't."

"Elena," Caroline implores. "We don't know where Katherine is. Just- just let it go, okay?"

Elena tucks her hair behind her ear and leans back in her chair with an irritated look. I get the distinct impression that she's definitely not going to be letting it go, but thankfully she doesn't say anything else as Caroline and I continue to work on the rest of our cards.