c h a p t e r f o r t y s i x

Over a week after Klaus' interaction with Silas, things in Mystic Falls have been surprisingly quiet. Serene times like this are usually an indication that everything is about five seconds away from going to shit but I'm cautiously optimistic that we might make it to graduation in a few weeks without any large supernatural dilemmas. Silas hasn't been heard from, Bonnie is back to normal and while Elena is still operating without any of her emotions, she's been keeping herself relatively under control.

By 'under control' I mean that at least she hasn't killed anyone since she warned Stefan and Damon to quit trying to get the cure for her and emphasized her point by snapping a waitresses neck. Like the stubborn lovesick idiots they are, of course they haven't listened, but she doesn't know that. Their new plan is to get her to flip her emotions back on so that she remembers how much she wants the cure, something that's easier said than done.

Speaking of the cure, Elijah made sure to bring it back with him when he returned to Mystic Falls with Rebekah. Klaus' house has been filled with angry originals as the three siblings argue back and forth all week about who deserves the cure. Rebekah is desperate to get it, Elijah is reluctant to give it up, and Klaus is being his usual grumpy self and wanting to control everything everyone around him does.

I don't want any part of it. I spend the days leading up to prom living at my own house rather than with Klaus because I can't take the constant arguing anymore. I still want the cure for Elena, meaning that Elijah and Rebekah don't want to hear what I have to say anyway, and I don't like being around Klaus when he's fighting with his siblings. It just reminds me of how much of a dick he is to everyone but me.

The morning of prom, Bonnie and I go with Caroline for the last fitting of the dress that she decided on weeks ago. The blonde heads into the changing room while Bonnie and I hang back in the main area of the store.

"How have you been?" I ask her. "With, you know, everything."

"I don't know," Bonnie sighs. "Sometimes I think I'm handling it okay and then other times I just completely fall apart. I miss him like crazy."

I sigh, knowing that she's talking about Jeremy. It feels like it's been forever since he died and yet I swear it could have been just a few days ago. It's even worse for Bonnie because she was under Silas' control for so long. The majority of her grief has been delayed and is hitting her all at once.

"I know," I tell her. "It's hard, especially with Elena being... the way she is."

"Yeah but it's not just that. I've been having these dreams."

"What kind of dreams?" Caroline asks, coming out of the dressing room and standing in front of the mirror in her dress.

"Usually I'm at his grave and all of a sudden he appears to me."

"Well, you never got to say goodbye, Bon," Caroline says in a comforting voice and I'm so thankful that she's here. Helping people through stuff like this isn't something I'm good at. I don't have a particularly soothing personality. "You're grieving. It's normal."

"When I woke up, the couch was one fire."

"Oh," Caroline says, both she and I turning to look at the witch.

"I don't know if it's because I was emotional in my dream or if Shane was right. Without his help, I'll lose control of my magic."

"Absolutely not," I tell her. "Shane was a manipulative dick. He just is wanted you to believe that you needed him because we'd kill him if that wasn't true. It's not."

"Stella is right," Caroline says. "You just need a night off from mourning and worrying about all of this. And I'm going to make sure you get it tonight."