c h a p t e r f o r t y f i v e

"So let me get this straight," I say as I pace around the living room, Caroline and Tyler sitting next to each other on the couch beside me. "Damon's plan to look for the cure behind Elena's back, that I told him was terrible fucking idea by the way, has now completely gone to shit because he couldn't handle one emotionless newbie vampire."

"Technically Elena has Rebekah on her side," Caroline says. "But yes."

"So they knocked him out, stole his lead to Katherine and the cure, and took his car?"

"Yep. My mom tracked his car and the one they stole after Damon's ran out of fuel. They're currently in some small town in Pennsylvania, Damon and Stefan are on their way there now."

"Jesus," I say, sitting down on the love seat across from Caroline and my brother. "They must be looking for the cure themselves. I'm starting to think that having Elena turn off her emotions was a really bad idea."

"Yeah, no kidding."

"Why is Rebekah working with her?" Tyler asks. "She never even liked Elena. I mean, she's the one who killed her."

"Rebekah wants the cure for herself," I tell him, forgetting that neither of them were there on the island. "It's the whole reason she went with us to search for it."

"Wow," Tyler in a low voice. "Human Rebekah. I can't even imagine it."

"I wish that there were enough of the cure that she could have some," I tell him.

Tyler gives me an odd look.

"You really like her, don't you?"

"I understand her," I correct him. "I know what it's like to feel as if you're trapped in your body, controlled by it. Rebekah just wants to live a normal life. Even if it's not what I would choose, I can't blame her for it."

My brother is quiet. He knows that I'm speaking from personal experience. I spent four years of my life alone as a wolf before he triggered his curse. During that time I'd have given anything to be normal again.

"You really think that if they get to to the cure before Damon and Stefan, Elena will let her take it?" Caroline asks.

"I know she will. She'll do anything to keep her humanity off, even if that means giving away her one shot at the cure. I guarantee you that's why she's helping Rebekah track it down in the first place. That way it can't be used on her."

"Do you think Stefan and Damon are going to make it in time?" Tyler asks me.

"They have to. If they don't, Rebekah will be human and Elena will have lost her only chance to get the life she's always wanted. Damon will kill Rebekah, easily if she's human, and then we'll have angry originals to deal with. I guess the only positive is if that happens then Silas won't have any reason to bring down the veil."

"I don't think that's much of a positive," Caroline tells me. "We don't know where he is or what he's up to. He could be so angry about the cure that he takes it out on all of us for ruining his plan."

"We haven't heard from him yet," Tyler says. "Maybe that's a good sign?"

"I really doubt it, Ty."

Even with the completion of the triangle last night, no one has heard anything from Silas. The average supernatural person might see that as a good thing but it makes me incredibly nervous. It feels like we're in the eye of the storm right now with no idea how bad things are going to become.

I checked on Bonnie earlier this morning thinking she might have an idea of what's happening but she doesn't remember anything, not since the Island. I don't know if it's because Silas' control over her finally broke or that she was blocking out everything that had to do with Jeremy's death, but either way she was devastated to find out that he's gone. Caroline and I comforted her as much as we could but I knew that what she needed was to be alone today.