12

Ethan breathed out slowly, inhaling before repeating. Because that's what you're meant to do. No matter how easy it would be to just stop- your body's programmed to continue doing that. You can't stop it unless you force it. 

And unluckily to Ethan, there wasn't a plastic bag to wrap around his head.

However he could see the familiar warm smile pass through the door. That "Valerie" girl that had been added to their Discord. 

He was confused about whether she was a part of the group now. And why. And since when. And how everyone agreed. Sure, she was kind- but were all the boys willing enough to let a whole new person in? After they'd had their seven-boys-on-sunday-system for what had now been a few years, were they really going to let a new person in now?

I opened up my phone to go into our Snapchat groupchat. A groupchat that she wouldn't be in.

Behzinga: How come everyone is calm with Valerie 
                     In the context that she's not even been at this school for a year
                     But everyone likes and is happy to be around her + added her to the gc

Vikkstar123: Bc she's nice n we all like her

KSI: Idk she's funny & decent company

Miniminter: Idk idrc abt her
                         Personally im impartial to her- it's weird everyone likes her

KSI: Nahhh she's so calm

Tobjizzle: i didn't like her either but i talked to her recently and she's acc nice 

Ethan: I didn't realise you lot would add her to the group so willingly
             Yk, considering half of you talk to jackshit nobody 
            And what, we've only known her for a month?

Zerkaa: Whats ur problem

Ethan: Nothing i just think it's weird you all like her

Zerkaa: It's just you then ig

Ethan exhaled deeply, rolling his eyes and slipping in his earpods, tuning into the white noise that fizzled out the mindless chatter of the class he resided in. 

...

My legs dragged me to my locker, turning around and allowing my back to crash against the cold metal framework- eyes shutting as I allowed my face to relax- neck craning back and stretching. 

The bag automatically slid down my back, almost as naturally as the sigh left my lips as I saw Vik rush into the locker area- though the sigh turned into concern as his eyes found mine with a look of fear and desperation.

"Simon, Simon, JJ and Josh are actually physically fist fighting right now- like- they're getting big hits on one another and I think they might actually hurt each other- quick, come help!" Vik sped through his words, tumbling over them at one point before simply grabbing me by the wrist and beginning to pull me through the corridor and towards the fire exit leading to the forest behind the school. 

I hissed at the feeling of Vik's grip shift, thumb landing and pressing on one of the newer cuts made only a day ago. The day I had skipped school because I was too busy polluting the bathtub water with my horrid blood. Placid skin drowning within the violent, dilute red, while two unyielding eyes stared up to the blank ceiling. 

"Fucking move your hand." I shook his grip from my wrist, matching his pace and trying to run with him despite the stitch that had already began ripping through my stomach. A groan left my lips at the pain as Vik tore through the fire escape, fleeing across the field and to the forest. 

I crashed into a shorter figure as I ran out the door, looking down and seeing New-Girl-Val rubbing her head and looking between Vik and I. Her mouth opened, brows furrowed and head cocked in confusion- getting ready to say something. I cut her off before she could even begin talking.

"Look, JJ and Josh are fighting, come and help or fuck off." 

I sped my pace up again to catch up to Vik- uncaring about how Valerie had processed what I'd told her. Much to my surprise, I saw her shoot past me- only slowing her run once she got to Vik (who was also getting tired and decreasing his speed)- throwing an arm around his shoulders and trying to get him to continue running at the pace he was currently at. I knew he was too low on energy to be running and he probably wouldn't be able to hold his pace for long, but Valerie's help surely was a bonus for him.

Following Vik and Valerie, I gasped for air as I raised my knees, jumping over the tree stumps and fauna that swathed the forest floor. I didn't know whether I could continue running to wherever the other two were, until I heard a cry which sounded like JJ.

My heart dropped to my stomach, throat feeling heavy and blocked up at the thought of JJ being hurt. He had been talking recently about the fact he was struggling balancing life between the arguments at home, the dynamics in his friendship group, his physical and mental wellbeing, and our relationship. 

God knows why JJ had decided to create a problem with Josh too- especially to the point whereby they were physically fist fighting one another behind JJ into the school.

Ducking below a thorny branch, I gasped as I stopped stark- gawking in horror at the ground where I found the boys.

...

I arrived at the clearing first- Vik following a moment after, his heavy breathing halting as we watched in horror as JJ pummelled Josh into the ground bathed in dirt and nettles- fists beating away against his chest and cheek.

Josh grit his teeth, eating the hits and kneeing JJ- allowing Josh to knock the wind out of his partner and buck him off- climbing over JJ and returning the favour by proceeding to batter JJ.

JJ's lips opened wide and let out a scream which froze every vein in my body- freezing my blood and turning me inept to movement.

Luckily Simon wasn't effected in the same way.

He fell to his knees to the duo and shoved Josh's shoulders backwards with all the force in his body- luckily causing Josh to fall back and away from JJ's lethargic and weighted body. 

Following Vik to Simon, I crouched down and observed the damage. And goddamn Josh had ripped him apart. JJ's lips were swollen and turning purple from the hits he had taken, and there were rips and tears across his face and neck because of what I could only assume to be the embellished rings which covered Josh's fingers. JJ's eyes blinked in an unsynchronised routine, his consciousness slowly slipping away. 

I had heard from the other boys that JJ was learning kickboxing (something about the sport helping him with his nerves, too) and if that's how badly Josh had gotten JJ- I dreaded to think what Josh looked like.

As Simon and Vik's panicked questions fizzled to background noise, I craned my neck to try and find Josh across the clearing, where Simon had pushed him.

Predictably- he had left- however it still served as a surprise to not see his figure behind us.

My eyes flickered to the bushed where I saw them rustle as something moved past them. Probably Josh.

Taking a few little steps back, I got myself back onto my feet and ran to the bush I saw movement from- jumping past the thorny branches that clawed my limbs, and gaining on the tall figure that strode out of the forest and closer towards the field leading to school.

As his figure grew closer, my vision became blurrier, breathing became more rugged, and limbs became more heavy- meaning that as I reached Josh, the only thing I could do was grab his hand to get his attention.

He spun around furiously- blazing eyes meeting my own pools of blue- a temporary distraction from the horror that caused my mouth to drop...