16

Vik shoved his bag into his locker and sighed as he rose and got ready to walk to class, only to be too surprised by the slamming of the locker above his, and Valerie's clenched jaw and heavy breathing.

"A-alright?" I asked, confused by her anger. Generally she was bubbly and pleasant- especially in the mornings.

"Fucking perfect." She spoke through grit teeth, clawing at her bag and tugging her schoolbooks out before shutting her locker and jerking her head, non-verbally asking whether I was ready to go to class yet. 

"What's happened?" I questioned, head going dizzy as I strode to keep up with her long paces- lacking the energy for such tiresome work. I noticed Valerie open her mouth to say something, only to shut it and scowl as she looked forwards. Following her gaze, I found an almost... apologetic looking Josh, stood stark in the corridor and staring at Valerie, hand outstretched as if to try and say something- though Valerie ignored him and just walked straight past, myself sending Josh a confused look to which he just sighed at. 

What the fuck was going on?

Josh was the feisty, rebel spirit and Valerie was the conversational, kind one... Why the hell had the roles reversed?!

"Where'd you go yesterday? After the fight and all... Simon and I wondered where you were, but were too busy getting JJ to the nurse." 

"What did you say had happened to JJ?" She replied with a question, furrowing her brows slightly. "You know, when you got JJ to the nurse."

"That we were walking to school and JJ tripped badly, hitting a car before falling into a thorny bush or something." I shrugged it off. "She was suspicious, but let it go when JJ said the same thing after regaining consciousness."

"I took Josh back to mine." Valerie sighed. My eyes widened slightly, wondering whether she meant that in fun terms. After all, I was quite sure they had some sort of tension between them... Josh certainly liked her more than ANYONE in their group, and even his girlfriend! And Valerie definitely seemed to have a soft spot for him... though I wouldn't have expected them to have gone all the way so early on. "No, not like that." She chuckled at my expression. God why'd you think they would've even done that?! I mentally scolded myself before waiting for Valerie to further explain. "I gave him my med kit and let him patch himself, and them let him sleep in my flat since it was too late to make him walk home."

"So... D'you like him?" I brought up casually, making Valerie choke on her breath and cough.

"I-I don't know what you're on about." She spluttered, though the red blush that had ignited on her cheeks told me otherwise. "Well, this is my form room- I guess I'll see you later- Bye!"

With that, she quickly left, allowing me to chuckle as I left for my form, wondering whether to tell her about my date yesterday...

...

"Morning, Ethan." A pleasant smile redhead woke me from my daydream, and I nodded my head in acknowledgement before allowing it to lie in my arms as I began dozing off once more. 

"I've got an art assignment I haven't quite finished... Help a bit?" Valerie's question interested me. 

I always liked art. Pencils often pissed me off because of their scratchy tones as they marked the paper, though the softer, more rubbery graphite ones felt smooth and were therapeutic to draw with. Felt tips and charcoal were even more silky, seemingly to flow across the page in a most graceful manner. 

Turning my head, I observed the paper she held out. Her page displayed a page imprinted with a map- further marked with ink and pens which displayed a beautiful mountain range- though it certainly did look unfinished.