20

Waking up in Josh's bed, pillows squashed between herself and him and fingers interlocked, Valerie's eyes snapped open, pupils contracting with the bright light that streamed in through the open curtains.

Josh lay lazily beside her (though they had fortified a pillow barrier between themselves) lips slightly parted as he breathed, dark hair in a messy halo around his head. The sight brought warmth to her cheeks as she remembered that he was the boy she'd kissed prior to last night.

Breaking her gaze, Valerie dressed in the bathroom and sprayed herself with as much deodorant as possible- uncaring that she now smelt like Josh; sandalwood and cinnamon- hiding the damp smell of pondwater which her clothes carried. 

She looked at Josh's sleepy self once more before hurrying out of the room and the front door, accidentally slamming the door and causing Josh to stir with a groan in his bed upstairs, stretching and feeling just slightly empty at the sight of his empty bed.

...

I ripped my hand away from Vik's as I saw someone turn the corner and enter our locker section. It was bad enough being considered a weird kid- being considered a gay weird kid would be too much for myself or Vik to manage- and hence we kept out love outside of school. Though I let out a sigh of relief as I realised it was only Valerie. 

"Heya you two." She smiled as she put her bad in her locker.

"Why do you smell so funny?" Vik scrunched his nose beside me. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Cuz she's a girl, dumbass- they're contagiously disgusting." I grinned as Valerie hit me round the head with her textbook. 

"No, seriously!" Vik got closer before recoiling back. "You smell of bad water!"

"Vikstar123, that is incredibly rude." She joked with a humorous offended face, shutting her locker and joining us against the wall to talk.

"Wait, actually..." I got a hit of her as soon as she stood besides me. "You... You dirty dog, Vally..."

"What?!" She asked innocently, though I could see the red patches of embarrassment appearing.

"You've used Josh's cologne or perfume- or whatever he wears!" I said triumphantly with a laugh, causing Valerie to look away and hide her face. "You've been around his, then?"

"Stayed this night?" Vik added with a smirk, taunting the groaning girl.

"Shut up, okay!" She slapped her hands over our mouths, taking one off in disgust after I licked her hand- wiping it across my blazer. "The only reason I smell like him is because if not I'd smell of pondwater- thanks for noticing it, Vik."

"The hell were you doing in a pond?" I laughed at her. 

"Ugh, I'll tell you some other time..." She shook her head as Tobi turned the corner, the three of us shuffling to the side to let him access his locker. "Wotcha, Tobi."

"Right, what happened yesterday?" Tobi accused Valerie primly. 

"What?!" Valerie turned to him with wide eyes, red creeping up her neck.

"You left me! You and Josh- I waited for you in the canteen!" Tobi jabbed a finger at Valerie as she groaned and put her head in her hands, clearly remembering something.

"I'm so sorry, Tobes... I-it was just... Can I explain it in a bit?" 

Tobi looked at her, his expression softening quickly as he seemed to notice something as he found her emotions buried with in her face- though as I looked to Valerie's face to find her feelings, I saw nothing but a stoic expression and pursed lips.