22

"Hurry up, the bloody cafe's gonna close if you don't get those knees up!" 

Valerie led us on a run to the cafe on the other side of the town with an invigorating pace and lines that made her sound like a fitness instructor. JJ, Josh, Harry and surprisingly Tobi, who we'd always seen so effortlessly perfect, were all putting in a shift and were running in front of us lot at the back. Yep, Ethan, Simon and I all lagged behind, panting and swivelling our bodies with each step- two angry stiches already ripping through our sides. 

"C'mon Ethan, it's not even too much longer- just down this street here," Val encouraged Ethan, who looked like he might just pass out right there and then.

"Shut... up..." Simon managed to get out between laboured breaths. Out of all of us at the back, he certainly seemed the least tired. 

"Right, this is it!"

Some passer-bys turned their heads to give dirty looks at our group as we collapsed at the seats on the patio, all panting and swallowing to get rid of the nauseating fluid that filled out mouths after running.

"That was..."

"Shit." Simon finished the sentence for her, making everyone let out a breathy chuckle as they regained their breaths.

"The ice skating was fun as ever though, wasn't it?" 

"My ankle still burns." Tobi shot a death glare at Harry.

"Sounds like a you problem," Harry shrugged, pushing himself off of the plush seat to grab a menu. "What does this place do anyways?"

"Hot drinks and pastries and cakes." Valerie answered, her cheeks still tinged pink, nose similar to Rudolph's. Josh rested his arm around the back of Valerie's seat, his hand on her shoulder which only seemed to make her smile stretch even more. She looked happy. She looked radiant. And even Josh besides her looked warm-heartened- the corners of his lips quirked up. "I'll grab a hot chocolate for everyone from inside- I can't cover cakes- but if anyone wants one then feel free to go get one."

Valerie got up, brushing the frost off of her jacket and stepping into the cafe, bell jinging behind her. 

"I fucking love her." Josh sighed, closing his eyes and leaning back contently

"More than Freya?"

"Are you kidding? Way more than that bitch."

...

"You look like you have your hands full."

Valerie turned around to see some familiar boys around her. Cal, Chris, Will, and a few of the other popular boys. Mainly JJ's meaner friends. 

"Oh, hi you guys," Valerie smiled despite the mild feeling of trepidation building in her stomach. Valerie had learnt that those boys were quite notoriously sharp in their year, and not the kindest. "Yeah, just got some hot chocolates for my friends... Nothing I can't carry on a tray."

"We should help, shouldn't we?" Cal nudged his friends, smirks spreading across their faces.

"Oh that would be lovely- you really don't have to though." Valerie shook her head, just wanting the interaction to end and for her to return to the boys she felt safe with. She turned her head slightly, looking past Cal's head and out the front window to see the back of Josh's head- all of them talking and laughing- oblivious to the situation inside the cafe. 

"No no, we insist." Will said a bit too forcefully. She didn't have a good feeling- and she felt herself jump when a hand from behind gripped onto her waist, fingers digging into her side painfully before she felt a cold presence against her hair.