23

Emmy Rose Walter POV

I rang the door bell to the fairly modest family size house. Alice was emotionless next to me, hood up, just staring at the ground. I shifted her bag that I held on my arm to grab her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze before letting go. Looking up at me I gave her a quick smile before looking back at the door hearing footsteps coming from inside.

I knew she was the type of person who wouldn't like to be bugged about something or really wanted to be touched and comforted, so I hoped doing what I did was ok. Perhaps I shouldn't have?

Before I could dwell to deep into the topic, the front door swung open to reveal a a married couple around mid forties.

Kate and Rob Johnson. Kate was a lovely lady in her mid forties. She owned a 5 star winning bakery in town that in my opinion was the best bakery ever. She married Rob, a GP, nearly 15 years ago and since the married couple agreed on fostering for kids of all ages. They had 3 kids of their own, too (one was adopted). 2 boys, (Ed and Angus) and 1 girl, (Ava).

Though, I simply only knew all this because I've been friends with Kate for awhile now. About 7 years now.

All their kids where the spitting image of them. Ava, Kate and Robs youngest child, was around 10 years old. she was a fairly content and happy child and was often referred to as their family's pride or the joy. Ed, the troublemaker in the Johnson family, was the unique cat of the family and never was afraid of a little dare. Although, despite Angus being adopted, it was amazing how alike he was to them. He was your classic quiet, overprotective brother.

We could hear bustling from the inside before the white doors opened. Their stood the whole of the Johnson family, all with beaming smiles.

 Their stood the whole of the Johnson family, all with beaming smiles

~Flashback~
Pain. Rage. And darkness. The pain of someone's pure rage from being left alone in the darkness of the world. Those are the kind of people you needed to stay clear of. They fooled you into thinking they were an innocent victim of the worlds torture and then when you least expected it, you were fooled.

Fooled by their hidden anger at their own ignorance. Fooled by the little gestures. Fooled by the smiles that seemed to shine in such darkness of the world.

Now the ones who play the victim can always come in a large variety of things. People, objects, loved ones, animals. Anything.

They seek to find your innermost interests and secrets and use it against you. They don't care who they hurt, how they hurt them or if it hurt them at all.

Because there is one goal, one thing they all have in common.

Revenge.

Similar revenge can come in many different ways. From ruining someone's life through the internet to fooling them in front of large groups of people.

But no one ever talked about the additional costs of taking revenge. The guilt. Emptiness. The lost sense of achievement.

It was always I'll get you back one day but what happens once that day comes? Do you just go back to how life was before then? Could you go back to your life?