Chapter 17: Looking Forward

"What's wrong?" Kel watched Polly sigh loudly, placing her phone on the counter. She turned to him, a weak smile on her face. "Did...Hero refuse...?" Kel frowned.

"Oh no, not that." Polly waved her hand. "I talked to him this morning about it, so I was just trying to make an appointment for him." Polly tapped her fingers, before moving to one of the cupboards. "Dr. Wells is basically fully booked, which is a huge problem because Hero needs to talk to someone as soon as possible."

"Is there not someone else you can find?"

"Usually that would be the case, but Hero's condition..." Polly frowned. "Well, he's in a pretty rough spot. Some practitioners won't be able to adequately handle or provide help, since your brother's dealing with something complex."

Kel was still confused. "Uh...aren't therapists trained to handle complicated things...or something...?"

Polly pulled out some tea packets, then looked around for the kettle. "Yes, but that doesn't mean everyone's good at it. Experience is a huge part of a therapist's ability to handle specific cases. With someone as destructive as Hero, one wrong piece of advice, diagnosis, or prescribed medication and things will become much worse."

"Oh..." Kel made a face. "I mean, I figured there were...different people to talk to for different things, but I never really thought about it much."

"Most people don't think about it. I didn't know for a long time until someone close to me had an unfortunate experience. Misdiagnosis is pretty common." Polly put the kettle on the stove. "Hero specifically has a higher chance of being misunderstood, considering what he told me on the phone today..." Polly trailed off, biting her lip.

"Hero opened up to you?" Kel was surprised. Considering how hesitant Hero seemed last night on the call, Kel didn't expect much.

"A little." Polly turned to him with a slight smile, but it was sad. "As he was describing it, he sounded confused, almost like...he didn't realize how abnormal it was." Polly walked over to the dining room table where Kel was sitting and sat across from him. "He told me I could tell you what he said. Though I'm pretty sure you already know, right?"

"Maybe." Kel stared at the table. "We...we talked last night."

"I know." Polly smiled gently. "He was very thankful for that."

Kel didn't say anything. Polly tapped the table again and stopped herself. Must've been a habit.

"I want your parents to know what's going on."

Kel blinked. "What?"

"I don't think Hero should be alone right now." Polly laced her hands together. "You and Sunny aren't responsible for his wellbeing, so it's not your job to go there and help him. But, he still needs people to watch over him, at least until he starts seeing Dr. Wells."

"Does it have to be Dr. Wells?" Kel scrunched up his nose.

"Yes." Polly nodded her head, tone firm. "I've known people he's worked with before, and I trust him to properly help and guide Hero."

"What about Basil?"

"I got him an appointment with someone else who's more focused on teens. It's summer, so there were more open appointments." Polly sighed. "He's going Friday."

"Oh, that's only two days from now." Kel tilted his head. "So...when can Hero go?"

"Well, If we're lucky, Monday." Polly stood up, the tea kettle whistling. "Wells will sometimes give specific people priority, so when somebody else drops a booking, he can give it to the people who really need it." Polly pulled out a mug, then turned to Kel. "You want one?"