Chapter 23: Playing Forever

(a/n: haha...the alternate end. the big boy.

PLEASE BEWARE. THIS IS LEGITIMATELY A BAD END. IT...IS REALLY BAD SO BE CAUTIOUS OF THAT! THIS IS BLEAK!
with that WARNING out of the way, enjoy!)

"I–"

Sunny couldn't gather the courage.

"Okay."

Hero's eyes widened. "Really? You mean it?"

Sunny nodded meekly, mustering a tiny smile. Hero immediately engulfed him in a tight embrace, shaking. Soon, Sunny could hear quiet sobbing.

"Thank you thank you thank you–"

Hero could barely catch his breath, constantly muttering the same thing over and over. Sunny raised his arms, returning the hug. He strangely felt like he was going to collapse. At that thought, his legs gave out. Hero made a sound of surprise.

Hero caught Sunny, making sure he didn't hit the ground. "Are you okay?" Hero snapped out of his repetitive rambling, eyes full of worry. Sunny nodded, trying to ignore his own trembling.

Looks like the fear he's been repressing was rising without permission as if to spite him. It left a horrible sinking feeling in his stomach. A buzzing in the back of his mind was increasing in volume.

"–so don't worry about a thing, okay? I'll get it all handled."

Sunny blinked. Hero had been talking. Sunny looked up to meet Hero's gaze, then quickly looked away. "Okay..." Sunny was barely able to get his voice out. Hero smiled fondly, ruffling Sunny's hair.

"We should head back before everyone gets worried." Hero stood up with Sunny in his arms, before carefully placing him on the ground. Sunny took a moment to steady himself, glancing over at the bag holding the violin.

...Perhaps...it was never meant to be played.

"Are you okay getting home on your own?" Hero asked, concerned. Sunny nodded, clutching his keychain. Hero smiled again, bringing Sunny into one last hug before moving to leave the clearing. "I'll see you soon, Sunny! Remember to get up at two!"

"Okay." Sunny followed Hero out into the street. Hero waved at him as he walked away, a hopeful smile on his face. If Sunny only looked at that smile, he could see Hero's old self shining through. But whenever he looked into Hero's eyes...

Sunny turned away and began walking toward the vending machines.

With each step he took, the world around him grew more and more distant, until everything became white.

****

Omori stood, holding two bags of chips. He blinked slowly, walking back to Basil's house with a blank expression. He opened the door and stepped inside, kicking off his shoes.

"Sunny! You're back!"

Omori looked up, making direct eye contact with Basil.

"...Omori?"

A curt nod in response. Basil's eyes wavered. "Did...something happen?"

Omori shrugged.

"Omori?" Aubrey walked forward, mustering a casual grin. "It's been a while. You want to watch a movie or something?" The worried crease in her brows went unnoticed, Omori simply nodding and making a beeline toward the couch.

After sitting, he opened the bag of chips and popped one into his mouth. Aubrey plopped down next to him and switched the T.V channel to something more interesting–more interesting to Omori, at least. He had weird taste.