Chapter Two - Killer Queen

-3 years later-

My alarm goes off to early in the morning for my liking, but I will be late to work otherwise and loosing my job is not an option. 3 years on the job and going into work on a Monday morning is still my least favourite thing in the world. I work for EMI Records and am currently waiting for a band to manage. If one is interested that is.

"Your late" Said Reid, my co-worker.
"Yes sorry Reid, slow start" I replied quickly sitting down at my desk reading the small letter that had been left on my desk.

Dear Miss Wheeler,
We are pleased to inform you of a band looking for Management, we have scheduled a meeting for you at 10:30am on Monday 14th September with the band. Do not worry, Mr J. Reid will not be present at time of the meeting, we are aware you share an office.
Kind regards,
EMI.

I checked my calendar. Oh shit" I mumbled, "that's today, in half an hour"
I sat up in my chair and sorted out my desk.
"You know even if you do get to manage this band, they will not be better than Elton John." Reid said. I rolled my eyes.

Before I knew it Reid was leaving and the time was growing nearer and nearer to 10:30, until finally, there was a knock at the door.

"Come in" I said formally. As the door opened four tall men walked in the room and sat down. I thought I recognised the faces of the men until it clicked, Smile.

"Smile?" I said with a chuckle. 

"Actually it's Queen now miss Wheeler" Freddie said proudly.

"Oh please boys, you know me, Grace will work just fine. How did you even get a meeting with me!" Roger cleared his throat.
"Well I remembered after the little show at University when we had out little chat out back, you mentioned how you were studying Management and your dream job was to be a band manager at EMI Records and so when the boys were saying about calling in for an interview I said to them just ask if you were working there and if so could we have an interview with you, and lucky for us, they said yes"

My heart melted at this sweet gesture from Roger. "You remember that?" I said in shock.
"Luckily yea he did" Brian said with a smile on his face. None of us could believe it.
"So as our manager what do you have in mind for us" Roger said excitedly.
"Woah hang on I'm not your manager. Not yet anyways."
"What do you mean?" Asked Brian clearly confused.
"Jeasus you guys have clearly never been managed before ok right. First of all I need to talk to you about what I would offer you as a band, then if you still want me, you may sign the paperwork making me your official manager."
"Well what would you offer us?" John asked.
"First of all I think we need a hit, like a single or an album, something to give you a name in the music industry and something to be recognised by. The more you work on and release the more things I will be able to offer you, such as tours etc, understand?"

They all nodded with smiles on their faces, except Roger, who once again, got lost in my eyes.

Just a few minutes later and the paperwork was signed, I was Queens official manager. They had gone off to start working on their first album. Was i happy for them? Yes of course i was. Was i also scared for them as this could go in any direction and i will always blame myself for being a bad manager? Yes absolutely, but i have only been trying to think positive thoughts as that is what is best for the band.

After a few months of being Queens manager things were going really well for the band. Their album had hit the charts in many different countries.

"5:00, just half an hour to go" i muttered under my breath. I love my job, however the last few hours on a Friday are horrible, just bring on the weekend already. Feeling pretty confident that I wasn't going to get any important phone calls in the next half hour, i started getting my things ready to go home so i could leave at exactly 5:30. Then, the phone rang. "Oh for gods sake." i whispered picking up the phone slightly annoyed. "Hello this is Grace Wheeler from EMI Records how may i help you?" very formal if you ask me but that is how i am trained to answer the phone at work, only if it's not the band and i could tell this wasn't any members from Queen.