Chapter 8 - Bohemian Rhapsody

-July 1985-

With only a week to go until Queens performance at Live Aid rehearsals are manic. Freddie is acting a bit strange, but he is Freddie, I wouldn't put anything past that man but this is not the Freddie we are used to. I think everyone else can tell to but nobody has said anything and I don't think anybody intends to, unless he says something himself.

John decided we packed up early today as Freddie was so out of it. Normally Freddie would argue with people about that, that is how we could tell something was up, he didn't argue. Instead he just stood there for a minute before turning to us all.

"Can I have a second?" he asked in his confident tone.

"Yea of course Fred whats up?" Brian asked, turning around.

"I've got it" Freddie suddenly had a dull tone.

"Got what?" puzzled Roger.

"AIDS"

We all looked at him in shock, in denial. No. Not Freddie. Not our Freddie, it can't be. There must be some sort of mistake. I didn't even realise but I was so in shock that I didn't realise that Freddie was giving us a full on speech.

"...now I don't want you to bore me with your sorry's and tears, especially you Grace. I just want to make use of the time I have left. Making music with you all, my family."

He...he just called us his family, okay now he is really trying to break my heart.

"No, Fred...not you..."

"Grace stop, no tears please." But it was to late. I was already balling my eyes out with tears. Roger gave me a massive hug and Freddie joined us, before we knew it Brian and John had joined us to.

Roger could tell it hit me hard, Freddie had become a close friend like the rest of the band, and even though he was pissing annoying sometimes, I guess me and Roger have to thank him for alot, lets face it, we probably wouldn't be together without Freddie. Roger came round to mine later that night and comforted me telling me everything was going to be fine.

"Everything is going to be fine. Freddie is a strong guy, he cab fight this, but we need to stay strong for him." Rogers words broke me. Having to stay strong for him.

"No Roger everything is not going to be fine, you have Live Aid next week and Freddie can't even sing properly."

"He just needs time, and you miss, need sleep." He knew I would reject it, so he picked me up, and carried me to bed. He got in with me and stayed with me all night.

-July 13th 1985--day of Live Aid-

Today is the day. Live Aid. Fair to say, I was stressed. Some would say more stressed than the band.

"You need to calm down Sweetheart." Roger told be pulling me in a tight embrace to calm me down.

"How am I supposed to calm down when-" but before I could say any more Roger kissed me gently to shut me up.

"Your not about to go on stage Sweetheart"

"But I am managing the people who are, if anything goes wrong I am to blame." He kissed me again.

"Calm down"

We heard them announcing that Queen was next.

"Got to go" he said running off after giving me a quick kiss.

The show went amazing! As soon as Freddie played the first note of Bohemian Rhapsody the crowd erupted. I have never seen someone able to interact with a crowd as well as he does. After all the tours they have done it still amazes me how good Freddie is, he was born a performer. Their song choices were amazing! With Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio Ga Ga, Hammer To Fall, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, We Will Rock You and to finish everything off, We Are The Champions. An amazing show, for an amazing band.

They ran off stage proud and full of joy, Roger of course ran straight into my arms and picked me up holding me in a tight embrace.

"Well done Queen! That was truly amazing!!"

"Told you it would be fine!" Roger said before kissing me.

"Are you coming to the afterparty this time you to...?" Brian asked looking at me who was held I the arms of their drummer, Roger Taylor.

"Yes"
"No"

"Why no Roger?"

"You know I'm just kidding of course we are!"

Lets just say that night ended up with four drunk band members celebrating a massive achievement and their manager, also drunk, celebrating to, never have I been so happy that I booked a hotel, this time.was cheaper. Me and Roger didn't have to have two separate rooms. Bargain.