A Night Among the S.T.A.R.s

The numerous collection of medical gear lined the tables and counter tops as Caitlin finished up her examine on Barry and his latest injuries. Every grunt or indication of pain caused her to unknowingly flinch, each bringing with it the realization of how close Barry had come to being seriously injured at the hands of Slade Wilson. Barry noticed Caitlin's sudden recoil and spotted the look of concern in her eyes, opting him to assure her that she wasn't harming him.

"It's okay." He softly said to her, hoping that she would overcome the fear she failed to hide from him. Caitlin nodded, forcing a smile to her face as she looked away and finished her task. Felicity nervously looked on with the others, feeling the guilt for her friends being attacked by a man chasing after her and Oliver. Any previous concerns of dragging her friends into the crossfire that she had dismissed were quickly resurfacing with vigorous speed. She knew that her guilt wasn't measurable to the amount that Oliver was undoubtedly drowning himself in at the moment. Her eyes moved to his worried frame as he wrapped his arms around his chest as he often did when a situation was well beyond his control and he battled his feeling of helplessness. Barry looked up to his friends and read the worried expressions on all their faces, prompting him to reassure them all.

"Guys, I'm fine. Really." He began, slowly pushing himself upward from the medical table.

"You're lucky. The force of the explosives would have killed anyone without your advanced healing." Caitlin explained as she removed her surgical gloves and stepped away from her friend, doing her best to hide her obvious emotions.

"I don't really feel too lucky." Barry joked as he gently rubbed his extremely bruised chest. Caitlin snapped back at him, unimpressed with his attempt at humor during the situation.

"X-rays show everything in order, aside from some hairline fractures and massive bruising, which should heal up within a day or so." Cisco stated as he lifted the x-ray image and pointed out the damaged areas, causing the others to further appreciate the seriousness of the situation.

"See, everythings fine. I'll be back to full speed in no time." Barry stated, carefully adjusting himself as he sat on the edge of the table. The questionable gazes he received caused him to hold back any other comments about his current state of health.

"Caitlins right Mr. Allen, this wasn't just another speedbump or learning experience...this man is extremely dangerous and has clearly shown that in detail." Dr. Wells began as he moved his wheelchair closer toward his wounded protégé, hoping his words would get through. Barry nodded, knowing that his attempt to push the seriousness of the incident aside was more for his benefit than his friends. Oliver watched his friend question himself after the defeat at the hands of his nemesis, unable to hold back any longer.

"This is my fault. I should have never involved any of you in this." Oliver began, throwing his arms down as he struggled to overcome his guilt.

"There's no way you could've known that Slade was coming for us." Caitlin said as she moved beside Barry.

"He didn't come for you, he came for me. Slade is going to do everything in his power to make me suffer, which includes hurting anyone I care about." Oliver explained as he glanced at Felicity, fearing what would happen when Slade inevitability caught up with them.

"I should've kept away from all of you. If I had than this never would've happened." He added, bringing his hands to his troubled head. Cisco glanced toward Caitlin and Barry, awaiting their reaction to their friend's guilt riddled confession. Felicity quickly guided her hand to Oliver's and gripped it tightly to keep him from drowning in his own self sorrow.

"It's not your fault." Barry replied, trying to relieve his friend of his guilt.

"Yes it is...but you don't have to worry. We're going to leave tommorrow night after a banquet and Slade will follow, leaving you alone." Oliver explained as he lifted his head, hoping his brief display of confidence would be enough to reassure his friends and himself. Felicity gripped his arm with her other hand and leaned against him, reminding him that he wasn't alone in his battle with her at his side. Oliver accepted her warm presence and the boost it gave him, knowing that she would always stand with him.